Upload bulk edits
About uploading bulk edits into DoubleClick Search
To create or edit large numbers of items in DoubleClick Search, such as campaigns, keywords, and labels, add the new or updated items to a specially formatted spreadsheet (called a bulksheet) and upload the bulksheet to DoubleClick Search (DS).
DS provides two ways to upload bulksheets:
- The DS UI: Uploading through the DS UI provides a single place to upload, review errors, and check the status. It isn't possible to schedule uploads through the UI, but you can specify a future date and time you want DS to start processing the upload.
- sFTP (secure File Transfer Protocol): If you upload bulksheets frequently, you may want to use third-party software (called an FTP client) to upload bulksheets to an sFTP endpoint instead of manually uploading through the DS UI. Your third-party FTP client may include the ability to schedule uploads. As soon as DS receives an sFTP upload it begins validating the file and places the file on the processing queue. You can't delay processing for files uploaded through sFTP.
Regardless of how you upload, the overall process of uploading a file, validating the file, and fixing any errors is the same.
The upload process
Here's the general process for uploading a bulksheet:
- You select a bulksheet from your computer and upload it to DoubleClick Search (DS), either through the DS UI or a third-party sFTP client.
- DS immediately validates the bulksheet and reports any validation errors.
If DS finds validation errors, you can fix the errors or continue with the invalid bulksheet. DS will ignore the invalid items and continue with the valid items in the bulksheet.
- DS places the bulksheet in its processing queue.
When processing begins, DS checks for any additional errors. DS will ignore any items that encounter processing errors and continue with the items that successfully processed.
- If you've uploaded new or updated campaigns, ad groups, or other items in a campaign, DS traffics your changes to the engine.
- If there are validation or processing errors, you'll see an error bulksheet in the upload history. The error bulksheet contains only the items that did not validate or process, along with an explanation of the error. You can download the error bulksheet, make corrections, and upload the corrected error bulksheet.
You can view the status and history of your uploads and upload errors at any time during or after this process.
You can upload files up to 600 MB in any of the following formats:
XLS/XLSX: You can upload files up to a million rows with XLSX (Excel 2007) files.
CSV: UTF-8 or UTF-16 (with BOM) file whose fields are comma separated.
Fields are optionally double quoted. For example, if your campaign names include commas, surround the Campaign field in double quotes:
Row Type,Action,Status,Campaign,Campaign start date
campaign,create,Active,"Campaign with, comma",12/30/2016
TSV: UTF-8 or UTF-16 (with BOM) file whose fields are delimited with a TAB character. Fields are optionally double quoted.
When you use a bulksheet to upload conversions, each upload should contain fewer than 100,000 rows. DS might not be able to process a conversions bulksheet with more than 100,000 rows.
Supported delimiters in CSV and TSV files
In CSV files, the only supported character for separating fields is a comma.
In TSV files, the only supported character for separating fields is a TAB.
Other characters, such as pipe or colon cannot be used to separate (delimit) fields.
If your bulksheet contains items that you want to upload to multiple engine accounts, make sure the bulksheet includes the Engine Account ID column. For example, if you're creating campaigns in multiple engine accounts, each campaign needs to specify the engine account that DS should upload it to.
If the bulksheet contains items to create or edit for multiple advertisers, make sure the bulksheet includes both the Engine Account ID column and the Advertiser ID column.