Important: To backup your Pixel phone or Nexus device, update it to Android 6.0 or up.
You can back up and restore the following items on your Pixel phone or Nexus device:
- Call History
- Device Settings
- SMS (Pixel phones only)
- Photos & videos (Pixel phones only)
Learn how to back up photos on any device with Google Photos.
Find and manage backups
- Open the Google Drive app.
- Tap Menu Backups.
- Tap on the backup you want to manage.
What happens when your Android backup expires
Your backup will remain as long as you actively use your device. If you don't use your device for 2 weeks, you may see an expiration date below your backup. This will tell you how much longer your backup will exist without further action from you.
After 57 days, your backup will expire. When that happens, it is automatically removed from Drive and deleted. Be sure to keep track of your updates so you don’t lose important information.
Back up WhatsApp data
You can set up WhatsApp to back up your data to Google Drive. Learn how to back up and restore your messages on the WhatsApp help center.
- Your backups will not use your Google Drive storage for your personal Google Account.
- You can use your backup to restore your messages and attachments to WhatsApp.
- You can stop and delete backups, but you won't be able to look at the files inside the backup.
What happens when your WhatsApp backup expires
WhatsApp backups that haven't been updated in more than 5 months are automatically removed from Google Drive. For more information, visit the WhatsApp help center.