You can set up a screen lock to help secure your Android phone or tablet. Each time you turn on your device or wake up the screen, you’ll be asked to unlock your device, usually with a PIN, pattern, or password. On some devices, you can unlock with your fingerprint.
- Some of these steps work only on Android 10 and up. Learn how to check your Android version.
- Some of these steps require you to touch the screen.
Set or change a screen lock
Important: To ensure your automatic and manual backups are encrypted with your screen lock, use a PIN, pattern, or a password. Learn how to back up or restore data on your phone.
- Open your phone's Settings app.
- Tap Security.
- If you don’t find “Security,” go to your phone manufacturer’s support site for help.
- To pick a kind of screen lock, tap Screen lock.
- If you’ve already set a lock, you’ll need to enter your PIN, pattern, or password before you can pick a different lock.
- Tap the screen lock option you’d like to use. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Screen lock options