Back up WhatsApp messages (Android only)
You can automatically back up your WhatsApp messages and attachments to your Google Drive account.
Back up your chats
Learn how to turn back up on or off using WhatsApp.
Restore your messages
Learn how to restore your messages to WhatsApp.
Delete or stop backups
If you delete your backup or app data from Drive, you won't be able to recover it.
- Using a computer, go to drive.google.com.
- In the top right, click Settings > Settings.
- On the left, click Manage Apps.
- Find "WhatsApp" in the list.
Note: If your backup is large, WhatsApp might take a few minutes to display.
- Click Options > Delete Hidden App Data.
To stop future backups, click Options > Disconnect from Drive.
Learn more about backups
- Your backups will use your Google Drive quota.
- You can use your backup file to restore your messages and attachments to WhatsApp, but you won't be able to see the individual messages using Google Drive.
Evan is a Docs & Drive expert and author of this help page. Leave him feedback below about the page.