About TV insertion orders
The TV insertion order offers a streamlined workflow tailored to buying digital TV inventory across screens. This insertion order type only features options that are relevant for TV ads, with appropriate configurations selected by default, including:
- An over-the-top publishers collection: You’ll see a pre-selected collection that includes publishers that serve in-stream video inventory on connected TV devices, allowing you to easily buy the premium digital TV inventory you’re looking for at scale.
- Pre-selected targeting: Targeting settings like apps & URL, position, video, and device are set for you to reflect digital TV inventory.
- Budget and pacing guardrails: You’ll only see options that are supported by connected TV ads.
Compare TV and real-time bidding insertion orders
Use the chart below to help you determine which insertion order type is right based on your needs:
|Recommended video buying options||Desktop and mobile digital video content||TV and over-the-top content on connected TV devices|
|Line item types for video||
|Performance goal||Multiple, including CPM, CPC, and CPA||CPM only|
|Targeting||All options available||
Pre-selected options for the following targeting settings:
The following settings are not available:
Create a TV insertion order
Open your advertiser in Display & Video 360.
In the left menu, click Campaigns, then select an existing campaign or create a new one.
- Click New insertion order.
Click TV .
In the page that appears, enter the following information for your insertion order:
Name for your insertion order.
Budget information, including start and end dates.
Choose your insertion order's performance goal, billable outcome, and optimization settings.
Set an insertion-order level frequency cap.
Pick the inventory source you want to buy from.
You'll see pre-selected options in your insertion-order level default targeting settings that reflect digital TV inventory. This targeting will be used as default targeting for any new line items you create within your insertion order:
Apps & URLs: The over-the-top publishers collection, which includes publishers that serve in-stream video inventory on connected TV devices.
Inventory from the over-the-top publishers collection
This collection includes all in-stream video inventory from any publisher that serves in-stream video inventory on connected TV devices. That means that if the content on connected TVs can be viewed on other devices, it's included in your targeting. For example, you can buy video ads from Disney Media Networks across connected TV, laptops, smartphones, or tablets through this collection.
Since the TV insertion order excludes devices other than connected TVs by default with its pre-selected device targeting setting, you’ll only target connected TV inventory from this collection unless you update your device targeting settings.
Position: All position in content options for video in-stream.
Video targeting: Large and HD video player sizes.
Device: Connected TV is included and all other device types are excluded.
You’re now ready to add over-the-top line items to this insertion order.
- You can only create over-the-top line items in a TV insertion order.
- Automated bid strategies aren’t available for the TV insertion order or over-the-top line item.
- The following targeting settings aren’t available:
- Position on-screen
- User Rewarded Content
- Connection speed
- Carrier & ISP