Guidelines for audio creatives
Review best practices and common requirements for audio creatives to serve on Display & Video 360’s supported exchanges.
For the best performance, follow these recommendations.
1. Understand your audience
Research shows a personalized message is more engaging across mediums.
2. Consider the context
- Understand platform specs and which ones support companions.
- Consider how people listen to content on different platforms.
3. Keep it brief and memorable
- Shorter clips have higher recall.
- Include a clear call to action.
- Repeat the brand name 2–3 times.
4. Be thoughtful with sound
- Balance the mixing between voiceover, music, and other sound effects.
- Use storytelling techniques for engagement and recall.
1. Use a consistent tone and tempo
- For 30 second ads, aim for 55-75 words
- For 15 second ads, aim for 40 words
2. Be conversational
A friendly tone transitions listeners between entertainment content and ads.
3. Include a call to action
Give listeners a chance to engage. A direct call to action drives higher clickthrough rates.
4. Tell a story
Transport the listener through the use of subtle effects and environmental sounds that create imagery in the mind.
5. Create multiple versions
Develop a variety of audio ads tailored to unique audience preferences.
Dos & Don'ts
|Use simple background music that sets an emotional tone and doesn’t compete with the voiceover.||Incorporate jarring sounds effects (alarms, air horns) or cheesy jingles which could annoy listeners.|
|Use a balanced mix of sound elements.||Use multiple voices, which can confuse listeners.|
|Incorporate music only if it complements the message.||Be intrusive, consider audio goes directly into a listener’s ears.|
|Consider using music similar to your audience’s preferences.||Try to explain every benefit your product or service provides — stick to what’s most relevant for the audience.|
|Incorporate audio elements and storytelling techniques that transport the listener through sound.|
Use a companion to reinforce your message
- A visual companion is the strongest connection back to the brand.
- Use the brand logo, repeat the call to action, and other elements that reference the audio ad.
Supported file type: .mp3
File size: Up to 1 GB if hosted on Display & Video 360. To meet specs across exchanges, always upload a source file with the highest possible quality. Individual exchanges may have different maximum file sizes, so plan accordingly.
Landing page URL: Required.
Duration: Audio creatives support a variety of durations. For access to most inventory, use a duration of 15 or 30 seconds.
Requirements and supported companion types vary by publisher, check publisher ad specs for the most up-to-date information
- Supported file types: .jpg, .png, .zip
- File size: Up to 250 GB
- Dimensions: Varies by publisher
Display & Video 360-hosted audio: Advertisers that host audio creatives in Display & Video 360 can assign display creatives (supports image and HTML5 assets) as companions.
Campaign Manager-hosted audio: Advertisers that use Campaign Manager can add companion creatives to their in-stream audio creatives. The companion will sync to Display & Video 360 along with the creative.
Most audio inventory has the same content requirements as standard creatives. For more info, see General guidelines for creatives.