Create a campaign
Use campaigns in Display & Video 360 to group together related insertion orders with a common business goal. With campaigns you can:
- Track your campaign goals directly in Display & Video 360
- Frequency cap across multiple insertion orders
- Set default targeting for multiple insertion orders (and the line items in the insertion orders)
- Report across all of the insertion orders in the campaign
Create a campaign
Start in your advertiser, then click Campaigns in the left menu.
Click New campaign, then:
Enter a name for your campaign.
Specify a goal and type of key performance indicator (KPI) for your campaign, and optionally enter a specific KPI amount. In the future, this will be used to power recommendations.Types of goals and KPIs
- Raise awareness of my brand or product
- Drive online action or visits
- Drive offline or in-store sales
- Drive app installs or engagements
These goals can be measured using the following KPIs as a metric:
- Viewable %
You'll see recommended KPIs based on the goal you've selected.
Select the creative type (display or video) you expect to use.
Enter the planned spend for all of the insertion orders in your campaign. This won't limit serving, but will be used to help with tracking your budget.
Enter the planned dates your campaign (and insertion orders) will run. These dates won't affect serving.
Set a global frequency cap for all of the insertion orders and line items in your campaign.How do campaign-level frequency caps work?
Campaign-level frequency caps work across multiple insertion orders. If you set a frequency cap in a campaign, serving will stop once the first cap at any level (campaign, insertion order, or line item) is reached.
If you don't set a cap at the campaign level, you can control frequency at the insertion order- and line item-levels.
Learn more about frequency caps in Display & Video 360.
Select the inventory source(s) you wish to use by choosing between public inventory, private deals, and grouped deals. Display & Video 360 gives you the option to buy inventory from websites not using ads.txt. Use the dropdown menu to filter inventory from Authorized sellers and Non-participating publishers or Authorized sellers only. Learn more about Authorized Digital Sellers.
Specify the default targeting to be used by new insertion orders and line items created in your campaign. The following types of default targeting can be set:
- Brand safety
- Inventory source
- Once you're done building your campaign, click Create campaign to save your work.
Now you can create new insertion orders in your campaign.
- Frequency capping across TrueView and non-TrueView insertion orders isn't supported.
Frequency caps in Display & Video 360 may be enforced separately across inventory types, such as environments (mobile versus desktop) and inventory sources (specific publishers).
- Mobile apps: Display & Video 360 supports frequency capping across mobile apps on the same iOS or Android device when the device’s IDFA or Advertising ID is passed in an impression’s bid request. If the mobile device ID isn’t known for an impression purchased on an open auction, the impression will be excluded by the line items that utilize frequency caps.
- TrueView: For campaigns or insertion orders that contain a mix of TrueView and non-TrueView line items, frequency caps are enforced to the best of our ability for signed-in users across YouTube and Google Ad Manager inventory independently of frequency caps for signed out users.
- Audio: There are no special frequency management considerations for audio, it works the same as other creative types in Display & Video 360. For all creative types, frequency capping only works when the publisher is passing a cookie from the device (same as Device ID). While this is possible with audio, it’s not as common. Check with the publisher to confirm.
Frequently asked questions
Can I report on campaigns?
Can I move insertion orders into a campaign?
Can I use Structured Data Files (SDF) to create campaigns?
How does frequency capping work when I’m targeting a Programmatic Guaranteed deal?
Can I duplicate a campaign?
Yes. To duplicate a campaign, start in the list of campaigns for your advertiser, select the checkbox next to a campaign's name, then click Actions Duplicate.
- To duplicate an archived campaign, unarchive the campaign first.
- The "System generated campaign" can't be duplicated.