Create and manage yield groups
What are yield groups?
Yield groups allow publishers to specify what inventory you want to sell with Exchange Bidding or mediation for mobile apps. Yield groups include DoubleClick Ad Exchange, third-party exchanges, and third-party ad networks, with targeting similar to line items.
Create a new yield group
Permission to edit yield groups (formerly known as "mediation groups") and edit companies is required to complete these steps. Learn more about user role permissions
We recommend organizing your yield groups by inventory targeting, not by yield partners. For example, if you want multiple yield partners to fill your news section, create 1 yield group that contains multiple yield partners. This ensures you can take advantage of yield group competition.
- Sign in to DoubleClick for Publishers.
- Click Delivery Yield groups.
- Click Create yield group.
- Enter a unique Yield group name that's descriptive for reporting.
- Select the Ad format and Environment you wish to target with this yield group. These selections determine which ad networks can be added to the yield group, based upon their capabilities.
- Banner: Display ads for web or mobile apps. For example, a 320x50 leaderboard slot.
- Interstitial: A full-screen ad to be displayed in a mobile app environment.
- Native: Custom ads for web or mobile apps that match the user experience in which they’re placed.
- Rewarded: Video ads for mobile apps that allow users to voluntarily watch an ad in exchange for an in-app reward.
- Enter a list of inventory sizes to target. Make sure you choose sizes that correspond with what your exchange or ad network supports.
- For a "Web" environment: Leave this field blank to target any size (recommended), or select which sizes are eligible.
- For a "Mobile app" environment: You must specify one or more sizes.
- Add Targeting to define where in your inventory this yield group can compete for impressions. For best performance, we suggest you define criteria that doesn't overlap with targeting for other yield groups. Learn more
Only target inventory compliant with Ad Exchange policies
- If you want to create a mobile -specific yield group, include "Device" targeting.
- If you want to target a specific URL, add a URL to your Ad Exchange inventory, then include "URL" targeting.
- Placement targeting is not supported for Yield Groups.
Any inventory targeted by a yield group must adhere to Ad Exchange policies because DoubleClick Ad Exchange is added as a yield partner automatically. If you use key-values to avoid serving on non-compliant content, make sure you add that key-value to your yield group targeting.
Add yield partners to a yield group
- Click Add another yield partner to define which third-party yield partner companies can compete for the targeted inventory. Ad Exchange is always included.
- Select your yield partner from the Yield partner drop-down menu.
If you have permission to edit companies, click Create a new yield partner to add a new yield partner in your network.
- Select an integration type.
- Mobile SDK: Choose this option only if the yield partner is supported by the Mobile Ads SDK.
- Custom event mediation: Use this option if the ad network is "Other company" or if you need to define special label, class name, and parameter values to call custom code in your mobile app. Read the Android and iOS documentation for more details.
- Exchange Bidding: Choose this option if the yield partner supports Exchange Bidding.
- Select the operating system you wish to target, either "iOS" or "Android." This selection is only available for the "mobile app" yield group environment.
- Enter a Default CPM value to manually set the price at which the mediation network will compete, based on your negotiated or average rate for each network. If you have enabled automatic data collection in the DFP company settings, the “Default CPM” value is not used; instead, the collected value that appears next to Dynamic CPM is used for mediation ranking.
- Click Save to confirm your changes without activating this yield group for delivery, or click Save and activate to confirm your changes and immediately approve this yield group for delivery.
Once a yield group has been created and activated, DFP is ready to begin sending requests to listed yield partners.
Remove yield partners from a yield group
- In DFP, click Delivery Yield groups.
- Click the name of the yield group you'd like to edit.
- Click Edit.
- Find the yield partner you want to remove, and click next to the name.
- Click Save.