Block general and sensitive categories in Ad Exchange
To prevent ads from certain general or sensitive categories from appearing on your site:
- Sign in to DoubleClick for Publishers.
- Click Inventory Ad Exchange rules Blocking.
- Click the appropriate syndication type sub-tab (for example, Display).
- Create a new rule or edit an existing one.
- To prevent ads from certain general or sensitive categories from appearing on your site, go to the "General categories" or “Sensitive categories” tabs.
- Decide which inventory to include or exclude from your targeting.
- Click Save.
How categorization works
Assume you want to block all sports related ads. To do so, you could block the entire sports category. However, if you don't have a problem with showing ads for news sites, keep in mind that blocking the entire sports category might block an ad if the creative is targeting the sports section of the news site.
If a general or sensitive category is blocked at the account level (Everything block), the general or sensitive category will also be blocked at the rule level. Therefore, you don't need to block at the rule level in this case. All global blocks are enforced before any rule-level blocks.
Our system classifies ads automatically, and we don't rely solely on advertiser-provided categorization. Our technology makes its best attempt to filter ads from the categories above; however, we don't guarantee that it will block every related ad. If you see that an undesired ad has shown, please use the Creative review.
General category blocking
The total percentage of ad impressions shown on your General categories page might be greater than or less than 100%, as ads may be classified in multiple categories, or not classified in any category at all.
General category blocking is available in the languages listed below. When you block a category, ads in that category will be blocked if they're in any of the supported languages.
- Chinese (Simplified)