Adjust special keys and Caps Lock
Chromebooks come with a special search key to help you quickly search the web. But if you miss your ability to type capital letters, you can make the search key work like the Caps Lock key. Similarly, you can also adjust the way the Ctrl and Alt keys work on the Settings page.
Change key behavior
- If you haven’t already, sign in to your Chromebook.
- Click the status area in the lower-right corner, where your account picture appears.
- Select Settings.
- In the “Device” section, click Keyboard settings.
- Use the menus to adjust the behavior of the search, Ctrl, and Alt keys.
- Click OK.
More about the search key
Whenever you press the search key on a Chromebook, your apps list opens. Type what you're looking for in the search box, then press Enter to bring up search results from your default search engine.
Using a regular keyboard? The Windows key in between Ctrl and Alt will work as the search key.
To make room for the search key, we took away the Caps Lock key. But if you really need Caps Lock, you can turn it on temporarily by pressing Alt + the search key. Press it again to turn it off.
- Customize keyboard input methods.
- Set the default search engine that should be used for the search key.
- If you’re using a Chromebook, learn about other special keyboard features.
Discuss with other Chromies in Chromebook Central.