You can hide or delete the history of a direct message conversation.
- Hide conversation—Removes your copy of a conversation from your Google Chat view. It doesn't remove the conversation from other participants views.
- Delete conversation—Permanently deletes your copy of a conversation's history. It doesn't delete the conversation from other participants history.
Direct message conversations you delete in Google Chat are also deleted in classic Hangouts, and the other way around. Conversations you previously deleted in classic Hangouts, before conversations could be deleted in Chat, are not deleted in Chat.
Hide a direct message conversation
- On the left, next to the person's name or group, click More Hide conversation .
- Select the person or group, and then at the top, click Down arrow Hide conversation .
If you hide a chat and then chat with that person or group again, your chat history reappears (if it's turned on).
Delete a direct message conversation
You can delete all your history of a conversation you had with someone. You can't delete your history for group conversations with 2 or more people.
- Select the direct message in one of these ways:
- On the left, next to the person's name, click More Delete conversation.
- Select the person, and then at the top, click Down arrow Delete conversation.
- At the confirmation message, tap Delete.
To delete only a single message you sent, learn how to delete a message.