If you’re not receiving Google Chat notifications, check your notification settings. On your computer, verify notifications are turned on for Chat, and turned on for your computer and browser. If you use the Chat app, you need to check notification settings on your mobile device.
Check Chat notification settings
Check computer notification settings
- In the top left, click Apple System Preferences Notifications.
- On the left menu, locate and click Chat.
- Select an alert style and other notification settings.
- In the Windows search box, enter Notifications and select Notifications & actions.
- Under Notifications, select Get notifications from apps and other senders and any other options.
Allow Chat notifications in Chrome
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More Settings.
- Under "Privacy and security," click Site settings.
- Click Notifications.
- Select the Chat and Mail entries and make sure the Notifications permission is Allow for each.
Add Chat and Mail entries if you don't see them:
See also Change site permissions.
Allow Chat notifications in other browsers
Each browser requires different steps for turning on notifications. See the online help for your browser for more information.