Requirements for a customer transfer
The customer can select the subscriptions to transfer to your reseller management, but there are limitations. A customer can choose to keep Google Voice or Chrome subscriptions with Google and transfer other subscriptions to you. For example, a customer can't transfer only some of their Google Workspace subscriptions or only their Google Workspace Additional Storage licenses to you, but they can choose not to transfer their Google Voice or Chrome Enterprise Upgrade subscription to you.
You can resell all of a customer's transferred services.
You can't transfer customers who have Google Workspace for Nonprofits or the G Suite legacy free edition. They can upgrade to a paid edition of Google Workspace, and then transfer their account to your reseller management.
The transferred subscription, such as Google Workspace or Google Workspace Additional Storage, is treated as a new subscription, and you (the reseller) are billed for each subscription.
Billing and service plans
Customers who have G Suite Business or G Suite Basic
At the time of transfer, G Suite Business and G Suite Basic subscriptions are upgraded or downgraded to Google Workspace subscriptions.
- G Suite Basic and G Suite Business subscriptions must have 300 or fewer licenses to transition to a Google Workspace Business edition subscription.
- Transitioning to Enterprise Essentials, Essentials, or Frontline edition is not available for G Suite Basic or G Suite Business.
|Switch to these editions|
|G Suite Basic||Upgrade *||Upgrade *||Upgrade *||Upgrade||Upgrade|
|G Suite Business||Downgrade *||Upgrade *||Upgrade *||Upgrade||Upgrade|
* Business subscriptions have a maximum of 300 licenses
If a subscription is in a 30-day trial, you can transfer the subscription to new 30-day free trial or a new subscription.
If the customer completed a 30-day trial, they can only transfer into a new, reseller-managed subscription.
The new subscription must have a number of licenses greater than or equal to the previous commitment. For example, if their current commitment is 200 user licenses, you can’t reduce the commitment to 150 user licenses during the transfer.
Exceptions: For subscriptions on an Annual Plan and within 30 days of the end of their term, you can reduce the number of licenses.
When you transfer a customer to your account, you choose the billing plans for their subscriptions.
For subscriptions currently on a Flexible Plan
- Start the subscription on a new Flexible Plan or a new Annual Plan (either yearly or monthly payments).
- The Annual plan option is not available for some add-on products, such as Vault.
For subscriptions currently on the Annual Plan
- Start the subscription on a new Annual Plan (either yearly or monthly payments).
- The Flexible Plan is available only if your customer is within 30 days of their renewal date.
The customer’s new subscription must have an equal or greater number of licenses than their previous commitment. For example, if their current commitment is 200 user licenses, you can’t reduce their commitment to 150 user licenses during the transfer.
Note: The only exceptions are subscriptions currently on an Annual Plan and within 30 days of the end of their term. Then, you can place an order for fewer licenses.
Subscriptions on an Annual Plan with Yearly Payments
- When transferred, they do not receive a refund for the prepaid period of service.
- We recommend that you transfer customers who are already on the Annual Plan (Yearly Payments) at the end of their service year, during renewal.
Subscriptions on an Annual Plan with Monthly Payments
- The customer is not billed for the closeout charge.
- The customer is charged directly until the date of transfer. The final charge is calculated on a pro rata basis.
Transfer a customer's subscriptions to your reseller account
Note: If the customer has multiple Google Workspace or G Suite editions, they need to contact their Google Sales representative or Google Support to perform the transfer.1. Find your Reseller Public Identifier (account ID)
Your account ID is used as your Reseller Public Identifier to generate the transfer token. You use a transfer token to associate your account with the customer.
- Sign in to the Partner Sales Console.
- Click Settings . Below Account information, you'll find your account ID.
The customer generates the transfer token
- Give your Reseller Public Identifier (account ID) to the customer.
- Share the instructions, Transfer your subscriptions to a reseller with the customer, and help the customer generate the transfer token.
You generate the transfer token
If the customer gives you super admin access to their Admin console, you can generate the transfer token.
- Go to Retrieve Transfer Token.
- Sign in with the customer’s super administrator username and password.
- Under Enter Reseller's Public Identifier, enter your account ID.
- Click Confirm Reseller Identifier.
- At the top, verify the domain name and business name match your reseller information.
- Review and select the subscriptions you can transfer:
- Transfer to Reseller—Lists the subscriptions that will transfer to the reseller.
- Choose how to transfer—Lists the subscription you might be able to transfer if you get permission from the reseller. After contacting the reseller, select the subscriptions you can transfer to them.
- Click Continue.
- Check the box to agree to the terms and conditions.
- Click Generate Transfer Token.
- Click Copy Code.
Note: Transfer tokens expire 14 days after being generated.
- Sign in to the Partner Sales Console.
- On the Customers page, click Create customer.
- Select Transfer customer. For most customers, you select Transfer with domain and enter the customer's domain name.
For Essentials customers with an email-verified account: Select Transfer with Cloud Identity ID. You can share the steps to "Find your Cloud Identity ID" with the customer.
- Enter the customer's domain or Cloud Identity ID, and then the transfer token.
- Click Transfer. If the token is expired, you'll get an error. Create a new token or contact your customer for a new token.
- Now, you can view and transfer your customer's subscriptions. Choose a subscription and click Select.
Choose a billing plan.
For subscriptions currently on the Annual Plan, choose a new Annual Plan (either monthly or yearly). You can choose the Flexible Plan only if the subscription is within 30 days of the renewal date.
For Google Workspace and Cloud Identity Premium subscriptions, the account is transferred with the same number of licenses at the time of transfer.
The date of the transfer becomes the account creation date and subscription start date.
- Enter a PO number (optional) and set a license cap (for Flexible Plans).
- Repeat for each of the customer's subscriptions.
- When you finish with all the subscriptions, click Complete transfer.
- (Optional) You might need to accept the product schedules or agreements for the customer.
Troubleshoot transfer issues
If you get an error when transferring a customer’s subscriptions, ask the customer if they made any changes to their subscriptions (like canceling a subscription) after generating the transfer token. If so, ask them to generate and provide you with a new token by repeating the steps in Transfer a subscription to a reseller.