Upgrading unlocks new reporting and analysis capabilities, requires no code changes, and automatically carries over your app analytics data. You can continue to enjoy the free and unlimited event reporting you have in Google Analytics for Firebase today, as well as new capabilities in Google Analytics that help you better understand the customer journey across devices and platforms.
Once you upgrade you can:
- Get a more complete view of the customer journey. For the first time, measure customer journeys that span devices and platforms, and get a unified picture of how your users interact with your content. For instance, when you enable User-ID, Analytics can measure journeys that include a visit to your mobile site and a conversion in your app. Learn more.
- Experiment with your data and discover insights that are unique to your business. The new Analysis module helps you explore your data and conduct side-by-side comparisons beyond what you can see in your standard Google Analytics for Firebase reporting using a number of techniques like:
- Closed funnels: Visualize the steps your users take with narrowing focus along each part of their journey so you can improve your conversion rates. Learn more.
- Exploration: Learn more about what’s important to your users with data visualization tools that give you an even deeper understanding of what’s happening across various segments of users. Learn more.
- Segment overlap: See how different user segments intersect with one another to size and determine key audiences. Learn more.
- Path analysis: Understand the actions users take between the steps within a funnel to help explain why users did or did not convert. Learn more.
- Get the answers you need, fast. A new single search experience and simplified navigation menu make it easier to query your reports and surface the insights most important to you.
- Use all the same powerful app analytics capabilities you enjoy in Firebase. On top of these additional capabilities, continue to use all your favorite Firebase features, including free and unlimited event reporting. Upgrading won't impact any of your historical data or reports.
How to access the next generation of app analytics
To upgrade from Firebase:
- Log in to your Firebase console.
- In the left pane, click Analytics > Dashboard.
- Click the “Begin upgrade” button in the banner at the top of the page.
- Follow on-screen instructions to complete the upgrade.
If you received an email from Google Analytics or Firebase with a list of eligible projects for upgrade, the list may not be comprehensive and you may have additional projects available to upgrade. We recommend you visit each project in order to complete the upgrade.
Once you upgrade, you will be able to conduct your app analytics in the Firebase console and in Google Analytics. You’ll still have the same dashboards and workflows you use today within Firebase, as well as the new capabilities listed above within the Google Analytics interface.
If you collect both app and web data
If you are collecting app data via the Google Analytics Services SDKs, upgrade your apps to use the Firebase SDKs, and then upgrade your Google Analytics for Firebase property to a Google Analytics 4 property per the instructions above.
If you were also collecting web data in that Google Analytics for Firebase property, create a web data stream in the same Google Analytics 4 property linked to your Firebase project.