The Google Analytics demo account is a fully functional Google Analytics account that any Google user can access. It's a great way to look at real business data and experiment with Google Analytics features.In this article:
Access the demo account
- If you already have a Google Analytics account, we will add the demo account to it (accessible via the Home tab in Google Analytics).
- If you do not have a Google Analytics account, we will create one for you in association with your Google account and add the demo account to it.
You will still be able to create other accounts, but the demo account will use up one of the total number of Google Analytics accounts you are allowed to have with a Google account (100 accounts for Google Analytics Standard). You can remove the demo account at any time.
Where the data comes from
The data in the Google Analytics demo account is from the Google Merchandise Store, a real ecommerce store. The Google Merchandise Store sells Google-branded merchandise. The data in the account is typical of what you would see for an ecommerce website. It includes the following kinds of information:
- Traffic source data: information about where website visitors originate. This includes data about organic traffic, paid search traffic, display traffic, etc.
- Content data: information about the behavior of users on the site. This includes the URLs of pages that visitors look at, how they interact with content, etc.
- Transactional data: information about the transactions that occur on the Google Merchandise Store website.
Ways to use the demo account
Because it shows actual data from an ecommerce website, the demo account is useful for exploring Google Analytics reports and features. Here are a few things you can do using the demo account:
- View all standard reports populated with real data from the Google Merchandise Store
- View AdWords and Search Console integration related data
- Alter reports by adding filters and secondary dimensions, and by changing the report view
- View predefined dashboards and segments imported from the Solutions Gallery
- Compare audience, acquisition, behavior and conversion performance to a previous date range period
- Segment the data using your own custom segments
- Create your own dashboards, custom reports, and attribution models
All users have Read & Analyze access to the Google Analytics Demo Account. This means that you can see report and configuration data; can manipulate data within reports (e.g., filter a table, add a secondary dimension, create a segment); can create personal assets, and share them, and see shared assets. You cannot collaborate on shared assets.
To learn more about user permissions, read the the section on user management in this help center.
The demo account cannot be used with the Analytics Reporting API. Attempting to access the demo account with the Analytics Reporting API will result in a permissions error:
Remove access to the demo account
To remove your access to the demo account, follow the steps below. You can always get access to the demo account again.