The Trash Can contains accounts, properties, and views that have been marked for deletion. You have 35 days to restore items from the Trash Can before they are permanently deleted.In this article:
About the Trash Can
The Trash Can is a temporary holding area for accounts, properties, and views before they are deleted. Accounts, properties, and views are moved to the Trash Can and held for 35 days before they are permanently deleted.
The Trash Can shows a list of all the entities that are marked for deletion, the user who marked them for deletion, and the date they will be permanently deleted. You restore an entity by selecting it and moving it out of the Trash Can. You need Edit permission on the account to access the Trash Can.
After 35 days in the Trash Can, Analytics permanently deletes the entity, and records the deletion in Change History, with the user identified as Analytics System.
When a property or view is deleted, any Attribution project(s) connected to that property or view will not be deleted automatically. If you intend to delete all data related to the property and/or view, you need to separately delete related Attribution projects. Any user with Edit permission on the account can see the list of Attribution projects at https://analytics.google.com/analytics/attribution/projects and delete Attribution projects from there.
What gets restored
Restoring an account or property automatically restores its component properties and/or views, with the exception of any properties and/or views that were individually moved to the Trash Can. For example, Account A contains Property P1 and Views V1 and V2:
- Example 1: V2 is moved to the Trash Can. Later, Account A is moved to the Trash Can. Restoring Account A will automatically restore P1 and V1, but not V2. V2 remains in the Trash Can.
- Example 2: Account A is moved to the Trash Can. Restoring Account A will automatically restore P1, V1, and V2.
- Example 3: V2 is moved to the Trash Can. Later, Account A is moved to the Trash Can. Restoring V1 will automatically restore P1 and A, but not V2. V2 remains in the Trash Can.
When you restore an account, property or view from the Trash Can, all settings and configurations (goals, filters, user permissions, links to other Google products, etc) are preserved.
Data is not processed while entities (accounts, properties, views) are in the Trash Can. Data processing resumes for core reports within an hour of being restored from the Trash Can. Realtime processing resumes within seconds.
How to restore an account, property, or view
To restore an account, property, or view:
- Sign in to your Analytics account. If all your Analytics accounts have been deleted, you'll need to create a new Analytics account in order to access the Trash Can.
- Click Admin.
- In the ACCOUNT column, click Trash Can.
- Locate the item you wish to restore by looking through the table, or using the search field in the table.
- Click Restore.