This article explains the different options you can set to tell Google Analytics 4 properties how to count your conversions. For more general information about conversions, see About Google Analytics conversions.
There are two different counting methods that you can select for a conversion event:
- Once per event (Recommended)
This setting means that Google Analytics 4 properties count an event as a conversion every time it occurs.ExampleA user completes 5 conversions in one session. This setting counts 5 conversions.
This option is recommended because it reflects the behavior of users on your site or app, and allows you to distinguish between sessions where multiple conversions occurred and sessions where only one conversion occurred.
- Once per session (Legacy)
This setting means that Google Analytics 4 properties count an event as a conversion only once it occurs within a particular session.ExampleA user completes 5 conversions in one session. This setting counts 1 conversion.
Once per session is how Universal Analytics properties count goals. Select this option if it’s important for your GA4 conversion count to closely match your UA conversion count. Otherwise, select Once per event.
- Once per session is the default counting method for all conversions that were created from Universal Analytics goals:
- in an automatically created Google Analytics 4 property
- using the goals migration tool in the Setup Assistant after April 2023
- Once per event is the default counting method for all other conversions
How to see which counting method each conversion event uses
You can quickly tell which counting method each of your conversion events uses by going to the Conversion events table in Admin > Conversions.
Any conversion with the icon next to it has the Once per session counting method. If there’s no icon in the Conversion name column, then that conversion event uses the Once per event.
You need the Editor role on the property to change the counting method for a conversion event.
- In Google Analytics, click Admin.
- Under the Property menu, click Conversions.
- In the Conversion Events table, click the 3-dot icon at the far right of a row.
- Click Change counting method.
- Select your preferred counting method.
Note: If you can't select an option, you don't have the necessary permissions.
- Click Save.
You can change this setting at any time for any of your conversion actions.
Note: Any changes to counting method will only apply to future conversions for a particular conversion, and won't apply to a conversion's past data.