Combining automated bid strategies with remarketing lists for search ads
How they work together
When you add a remarketing list to an ad group using automated bidding, you’re telling the bid strategy which people are most important to you. This helps the strategy optimize your bids and get you more conversions.
Let’s say you want to increase the number of people who sign up for your newsletter. You’ve found that people usually sign up on their second or third visit to your site. So first you set up a remarketing list for people who visited your site but didn’t sign up for your newsletter.
Then, after setting newsletter signups as a conversion, you use Target CPA to automatically set bids for you and help maximize those conversions.
Then, when calculating a bid, Target CPA will look at your remarketing list and modify your bid when one of the people on that list uses one of your keywords.
How to set up automated bid strategies and remarketing lists
- Set up conversion tracking.
- Create a remarketing list.
- Add your remarketing list to an ad group so that your bid strategy can use it when adjusting bids.
- Apply an automated bid strategy to your ad group.
What you should know
- For Target CPA, and Target ROAS, the automated bid strategy will make bid adjustments that account for audience membership in place of anything you set. For enhanced CPC, the bid strategy will make adjustments in addition to anything you set.
- If you plan to add multiple remarketing lists to an ad group that's using a bid strategy, it's recommended that they're not overlapping.
- Bid adjustments work differently when you've applied a conversion-based automated bid strategy and the ad group contains multiple, overlapping lists. Rather than adjusting your bids, your bid adjustments instead prioritize the order in which an ad group’s remarketing lists are used. (Not recommended)