How to create Dynamic Search Ads
Just as with setting up a campaign that uses keywords, setting up a Dynamic Search Ads campaign involves creating ad groups and ads.
To use Dynamic Search Ads, you’ll choose the "Search Network only - Dynamic Search Ads" campaign type. If you want to use additional features (like the Audience tab), which are only available in the “All features” campaign type, you can configure a Dynamic Search Ads campaign under that campaign type as well. Learn about the different campaign types.
To get started:
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click the Campaigns tab.
- Click the +Campaign drop-down menu and select Search Network only.
- On the Select campaign settings page, choose Dynamic Search Ads. Then enter your campaign name.
- In the Dynamic Search Ads section, enter your domain and the language corresponding to the pages you want your ads to target.
- Fill in all the additional settings, including target geographic locations, budget, and default bid. In the bid configuration section, click Advanced Options. Choose an automated bidding strategy if you want Google to optimize your bids. We recommend Maximize Clicks (an automated click-based bid strategy) for use with Dynamic Search Ad campaigns as it can provide better performance than manual cost-per-click (CPC) bidding.
- Click Save and continue.
If your website domain contains pages in multiple languages and you want to target searches for your ads based on all of these pages, create a new campaign for each language.
Create an ad group
- In the Name this ad group section, name your ad group.
- To target by categories (recommended):
- In the Auto targets section, choose Use categories recommended for your website.
- Select categories and add them to the Selected dynamic ad targets column. You can see sample pages and ads for each category by hovering over the dialog icon to the right of the category name.
- Once you add a category, a recommended bid will automatically appear, if available. Edit each bid one-by-one, or click Clear all bids to clear all recommendations. Categories without a bid selected use the ad group’s default bid.
- To target all webpages on your site, select Use all webpages. Note: This will include all your indexed pages, including subdomains.
- To target only certain webpages, select Use specific webpages (advanced).
- You’ll be able to select one or more rules. Only pages for which all selected rules hold true will be targeted by the combined rule.
- “URL contains” rules target all pages whose URLs contain the specified text.
- “Page content” rules target all pages that contain the specified text in the page’s content.
- “Page title” rules are similar to “Page content” but only look for the specified text in a page’s title.
- You can also use category rules in combination with other rules.
- In the Create an ad section, enter the text for the first and second description lines of your ad. The headline will be generated dynamically. Also enter the URL (for example, your domain) that you want displayed in the ad.
- If you want to track your ad performance, add your tracking information in the "Tracking template" field below the Ad URL options section. Here, you can insert ValueTrack parameters in your URL tracking template. Learn more
- Click Save ad group.
- If you like, add more ad groups from the Ad groups tab of your campaign.
- Before you write ads, improve your website. Does your content reflect the language your customers use? Are your page titles descriptive? The quality of your site is as important as the quality of your ads. Get tips on how to improve your website.
- Write great ads. Make sure your ads are relevant to the people you’re trying to reach, and that they include all the right elements, like keywords and a call to action. Learn how to write great ads.
- Keep mobile in mind. Dynamic Search Ads are eligible to appear on mobile and desktop devices. So make sure your ad text will appeal to customers searching or browsing while they’re on the go.
Create additional ads
With a Dynamic Search Ad campaign, you can have more than one ad, which means you can collect data on which ad is most effective. Here’s how to add more Dynamic Search Ads to the ad group of the campaign you've created:
- Click the Ads tab from the ad group you created for your Dynamic Search Ads campaign.
- Click the +Ad button.
- Insert text in the description lines. If you track the performance of your ads with ValueTrack, include the relevant parameters in your URL tracking template.
- Click Save ad.
How to use bid adjustments
Bid adjustments can give you more control over when and where your ad is shown. You can set these adjustments to increase or decrease your dynamic ad target bids by a percentage. Learn how to use bid adjustments. For more optimized bids, consider setting up automated bidding.Edit Dynamic Search Ads in bulk
You can save time by editing bids for multiple Dynamic Search Ads at once:
- Go to the "Campaigns" tab.
- Click the Ads sub-tab.
- Select the checkbox next to any of the ads you want to modify.
- From the "Edit" menu, select Change text ads....
- In the dialog box that appears, make any changes that you would like to apply across all the ads you selected. You can also create a new set of duplicate ads that contain your changes – instead of changing your existing ads – by checking the box next to "Duplicate selected text ads and set text in duplicates."
- When finished, click Make changes.
Keep in mind
We've made Dynamic Search Ad website settings easier to manage. Dynamic Search Ads settings were previously located on the "Ad extensions" tab. You can now find these settings in the "Settings" tab, where you can also find all other campaign settings.