Create Dynamic Search Ads
Dynamic Search Ads can quickly direct potential customers to what they want on your site. To learn more about them, start with About Dynamic Search Ads.
To create Dynamic Search Ads, to create ad groups, and to customize your targeting, follow the instructions in this article.
Before you begin
To get the most out of Dynamic Search Ads, follow these best practices:
- Before you write ads, improve your website. The quality of your site is as important as the quality of your ads. Get tips on how to improve your website.
- Write great descriptions for your ads. Make sure your ads are relevant to the people you’re trying to reach. Learn how to write great ads.
- Keep mobile in mind. Dynamic Search Ads can appear on mobile to customers searching or browsing while they’re on the go. Learn how to improve your mobile site.
- Make sure your site is accessible. Sites where all content is dynamically generated can be hard for Google to understand and make ads for. Learn how to make your site more accessible.
- Create single-language campaigns. If your website domain contains pages in multiple languages and you want to target searches for your ads based on all of these pages, create a new campaign for each language.
How to create Dynamic Search Ads
Create Dynamic Search Ads with the "Search Network only - Dynamic Search Ads" campaign type. If you want to use additional features (like the Audience tab), which are only available in the “All features” campaign type, you can configure a Dynamic Search Ads campaign under that campaign type as well.
Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click the Campaigns tab.
- Click the + Campaign drop-down menu and select Search Network only.
- On the "Select campaign settings" page, choose Dynamic Search Ads. Then enter your campaign name.
- In the "Dynamic Search Ads" section, enter your domain and the language corresponding to the pages you want your ads to target.
- Select your targeting preference. Either target your ads based on Google’s index of your website or target them based on a spreadsheet of URLs (a page feed). Learn more about page feeds.
- Fill in all the additional settings, including target geographic locations, budget, and default bid. In the bid configuration section, click Advanced Options. Choose an automated bidding strategy if you want Google to optimize your bids. We recommend Maximize Clicks (an automated click-based bid strategy) for use with Dynamic Search Ad campaigns as it can provide better performance than manual cost-per-click (CPC) bidding.
- Click Save and continue.
How to create an ad group
You can set your targeting at the ad group level. In the Name this ad group section of your campaign, name your ad group. Then set your targets. For instructions, and descriptions of each targeting method, go to Create targets for Dynamic Search Ads.
How to create additional ads
With a Dynamic Search Ad campaign, you can have more than one ad, which means you can collect data on which ad is most effective. Here’s how to add more Dynamic Search Ads to the ad group of the campaign you've created:
- Click the Ads tab from the ad group you created for your Dynamic Search Ads campaign.
- Click the +Ad button.
- Insert text in the description lines. If you track the performance of your ads with ValueTrack, include the relevant parameters in your URL tracking template.
- Click Save ad.
How to use bid adjustments
Bid adjustments can give you more control over when and where your ad is shown. You can set these adjustments to increase or decrease your dynamic ad target bids by a percentage. Learn how to use bid adjustments. For more optimized bids, consider setting up automated bidding.
How to edit Dynamic Search Ads in bulk
You can save time by editing bids for multiple Dynamic Search Ads at once. Here's how:
- Go to the "Campaigns" tab.
- Click the Ads sub-tab.
- Select the checkbox next to any of the ads you want to modify.
- From the "Edit" menu, select Change text ads....
- In the dialog box that appears, make any changes that you would like to apply across all the ads you selected. You can also create a new set of duplicate ads that contain your changes – instead of changing your existing ads – by checking the box next to "Duplicate selected text ads and set text in duplicates."
- When finished, click Make changes.