Exclude demographic groups
Just as you can show your ads to people based on their age, gender, and parental status, you can also exclude any of these specific demographic groups to make your advertising more efficient. This article shows you how to exclude selected demographic groups at the ad group level or at the campaign level.
A female-only spa has a campaign that features the available services packages and hours for their spa centers. They're unable to serve male customers at this time, so they decide to exclude the “Male” category from this campaign. They could set the exclusion at the ad group level. But because the spa wants to apply these settings to all of the ad groups in their campaign, they can make demographic exclusions at the campaign level instead of adding them one by one.
To exclude by demographic groups for your campaign targeting:
Choose the AdWords experience you're using. Learn more
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click Campaigns, and then click the Display Network tab. For Search Network campaigns, click the Audiences tab.
- Click the Demographics tab.
- Click Gender, Age, or Parental status to select a demographic targeting method.
- Click + Targeting.
- Under “Campaign exclusions,” click the Add campaign exclusions dropdown menu, and then click Demographics.
- Under “Demographics,” select the checkboxes of the specific demographics you want to exclude:
- Parental status
- Click Close, and then click Save.
Excluding any demographic categories can significantly decrease the amount of traffic your ad group or campaign might receive.
Also, you can exclude people whose specific demographic traits we haven't identified by selecting the "Unknown" category. However, excluding it might prevent a substantial number of people from seeing your ads. Many sites within the Display Network don't provide demographic data for customers, and we aren't able to infer demographic information from everyone using the web or mobile apps. This means that many people fall under the "Unknown" demographic category.