Exclude pages about a specific topic
Just as you can target pages in the Google Display Network about certain subjects – like cars or music – you can also exclude by topic to keep your ads off webpages whose themes aren't relevant to your customers.
Reasons to exclude topics
- Avoid showing your ads on pages that aren't relevant to your business.
- Continue to target broad themes while filtering out subtopics and niche areas.
- Spend your advertising budget effectively, excluding topics that show a low return.
A travel agency has an ad group that features ads about various types of tours. They decide to target the topic Travel which has lots of relevant sub-topics like Adventure Travel and Regional Parks & Gardens, but exclude sub-topics that are less relevant to their offerings like Air Travel.
How to exclude topics
- Go to your Display Network tab and click + Targeting, which is located above the graph.
- Select an ad group.
- Click either the “Add ad group exclusions” or “Add campaign exclusions” drop-down menu and select “Topics.”
- Type a term or phrase in the search box to find a topic to exclude or click each topic to see the sub-topics you can select. Click add » next to the topics and sub-topics you'd like to exclude.
- Click Close and then Save.