Video ad formats in AdWords for video
AdWords for video is a video-specific campaign management tool within AdWords. It offers the TrueView family of cost-per-view (CPV) video ad formats.
With TrueView ads, you only pay when a viewer actively selects your video, or chooses to continue watching a video when it first loads as they browse video content. Unlike cost-per-click or cost-per-thousand impressions pricing, you won't need to pay every time that your ad is shown. While video content for TrueView ads must be hosted on YouTube, TrueView ads can appear on both YouTube and other publisher sites in the Google Display Network for desktop computers and high-end mobile devices.
Before you start building and placing your ads on video content sites, it's useful to learn more about the video formats that you can create with AdWords for video, and how they work:
- Check out the available TrueView formats.
- Discover how to monitor your ad performance with AdWords for video.
You can build video ads using either AdWords for video or the Ad gallery. Explore the benefits and differences between these two tools.
TrueView video formats
You can explore each of the formats in detail below. To learn more about the formatting and specifications for each format, see our guidelines.TrueView in-stream video ads
- When should I use it? Use this format when you have video content you'd like to promote before short- or longform videos on YouTube and the Google Display Network.
- How does it work? After five seconds, the viewer has an option to skip the ad. See an example.
- Where will the ads appear? TrueView in-stream videos can appear on YouTube Videos (Watch pages on YouTube) and on video publisher pages in the Google Display Network (includes YouTube).
- How will I be charged? For videos 30 seconds or longer, you'll be charged when the viewer reaches the 30 second point of the video. For videos shorter than 30 seconds, you'll be charged when the viewer completes the video.
- When should I use it? Previously known as the search ads portion of "YouTube Promoted Videos", this format lets you promote a video next to search results on YouTube.
- How does it work? Your video's keywords will highlight your video to YouTube viewers who may be interested in your content. This format will include a 640x90 Rectangle or 300x70 Small Rectangle depending on the ad's position in search results.
- Where will the ads appear? TrueView in-search videos appear on the YouTube Search results page.
- How will I be charged? You'll only be charged when viewers begin watching your video.
This format includes the following legacy formats: YouTube Promoted Videos overlay, promoted videos suggestions and related videos and the Google Click-to-Play format.
The video ad preview unit may vary in size. You can choose whether the video plays within the ad unit or when a viewer clicks the unit to watch the video on its YouTube Watch page.
- When should I use it? Use this format to promote a video next to YouTube videos or other website content across the Google Display Network.
- How does it work? The appearance of the ad format will vary, depending on which ad sizes and display formats content publishers support. For example, YouTube is a key content publisher within the network and these ads will function and appear in the same way across the entire YouTube site.
- Where will the ads appear? TrueView in-display videos can only appear on YouTube Videos (Watch pages on YouTube) and Watch pages on video publishers of the Google Display Network.
- How will I be charged? You'll only be charged when viewers choose to watch your ad.