Performance reports guide
Metric families are groups of related reporting metrics. The metrics that you see in your performance reports depend on which metric family you select. Each metric family represents one of the ways in which you make money from ads, i.e., they're either based on one of the bid types or on a specific ad type. For example, the "Clicks" metric family contains all of the metrics that relate to cost-per-click (CPC) bidding.
Whenever you select a metric family (apart from "Overview") we automatically apply the relevant filter for you in the filter box. For example, if you select the "Views" metric family, then you'll see the CPM bids filter applied. Note that you can't click an automatically applied filter to modify or remove it.
The available metrics families are:
- Overview — a summary of your performance across all bid types. The "Overview" metric family includes metrics such as page views, impressions, Active View Viewable, etc.
- Clicks — includes only the metrics that relate to the CPC bid type, e.g., clicks, clickthrough rate, etc.
- Views — includes only the metrics that relate to the CPM bid type, e.g., impressions, page RPM, impressions RPM, etc.
- Active Views — includes only the metrics that relate to the Active View CPM bid type, e.g., impressions, Active View Viewable, etc. See Viewability and Active View to learn more about Active View.
- Engagements — includes only the metrics that relate to the cost-per-engagement (CPE) bid type, e.g., impressions, page RPM, impressions RPM, etc.
- Videos — includes only the metrics that relate to the video ad type, e.g., TrueView views, TrueView VTR, etc.
- Matched content — includes only the metrics that relate to Matched content units, e.g., total impressions, recommendations, etc.
- Sessions — includes only the metrics that relate to AdSense session reporting, e.g., sessions, sessions measurable, session RPM, etc.
In addition to the standard metric families we provide, you can also create your own custom metric family. With a custom metric family, you choose the metrics that you want to include. Once created, your custom metric family is available for you to select along with the standard metric families. Note that you can only create one custom metric family at a time.
To create a new custom metric family:
- In the left navigation, click Performance reports.
- Click the + Custom tab.
- In the "Custom metric family" window, select the metrics that you want to include.
- Click Save.
Your custom metric family is now available for you to use in your performance reports. Whenever you want to select your custom metric family, click the "Custom" tab.
Note that while you can't edit your "Custom" metric family once you've saved it, you can delete it and create a new one. To delete a custom metric family, click the X on the "Custom" tab.