Create a native express ad unit
Complete the following steps to create a native ad unit for an existing app.
- Sign in to your AdMob account at https://apps.admob.com.
- Click the Monetize tab.
- Select your application from the All apps list on the left-hand side.
- Click + New ad unit.
- Click Native.
- Select a native ad size for your ad unit.
You won’t be able to change the template size after saving the design.
- Select a native ad template to use as a base for your design.
- Check the boxes for the native ad type(s) you want to allow in this ad unit. You can choose any combination. Checking all of the boxes is recommended since unchecking ad types might limit the revenue generated by the ad unit. Unchecking all of the boxes will result in an error. You must choose at least one ad type for each native ad unit.
- Customize the ad unit's template style using the color selectors in the edit panel or click Edit CSS to use the CSS editor.
- Adjust the preview settings to test different sizes and languages.
Preview ads might not appear exactly the same as the final ad on different devices. Use Chrome or Safari when designing your ad unit for the most realistic preview.
- Test different preview sizes: Enter different widths and heights to see how ads will look in your ad unit at different sizes. The preview size won’t affect the size of the ad unit in your app once it’s implemented.
- Test different languages: Select a language from the drop-down menu to see how ads in that language will look in your ad unit. The preview language won’t affect the language of ads shown in your ad unit once it’s implemented.
- Click the Validate button to check the ad design for any errors. You can fix errors that are found by making changes to the design, then click Validate again. You can also click the Reset CSS button to clear all changes to the template.
- Enter an automatic refresh rate, if desired.
- Enter a name for the ad unit.
- Click Save.
- If there are no errors found, you'll see the ad unit ID for this ad unit.
- If there are errors found, you'll need to fix the errors before you can save your design. Once the errors are fixed, click Save again.
- Click Done to return to the Monetize tab or click Send an email with these instructions to have implementation instructions sent to you via email.
Note: For design purposes, the px (screen pixel) unit used in CSS is roughly equivalent to the dp (density-independent pixel) unit used to implement an ad with the SDK.
Native ad unit templates: When you design a native ad unit, you can select one of several templates to use as a base for your design. You should keep the following in mind when selecting a template:
- If you change templates after customizing the ad design, your customizations will be reset including edits you've made to the CSS.
- You can't change the template after saving, but you can still continue to customize the design.