You can control programmatic eligibility for all ad experiences in one place. Ad Experience Controls provide easy management of all ad formats available in Ad Manager.
Ad Experience Controls centralize the protection settings that were previously scattered throughout various Ad Manager pages, which made them difficult to discover, manage, and understand what was eligible. The controls provide easier ad format management for all ad experiences available through programmatic demand with sensible default settings automatically applied to each ad experience type.
Ad experience controls apply to these transactions
- Open Auctions
- Private Auctions
- First Look
- Preferred Deals ("Allow video ads" control only)
- Programmatic Guaranteed ("Allow video ads" control only)
Learn more about transaction types.
There are “Ad experiences” sub-sections under both the “Blocks” and “Opt-ins” sections on the Protections page. Ad experiences are placed in a sub-section based on their default setting:
- “Expandable” is allowed by default and appears under “Blocks.”
- “Video” and “Unknown/minimum platform policy compliance only” are blocked by default and appear under “Opt-ins.”
If you choose not to opt-in to “Video” and “Unknown/minimum platform policy compliance only”, AdWords may still serve in-banner video.
You only need to add a protection if you want to change this configuration.
|Ad Experience Control
|Block expandable ads
An ad that increases in size after a user clicks on the ad or moves their cursor over it.
Note: If opting into 3rd-party expandables, you may need to manually opt in the related ad technology providers as well.
|Allow video ads
Display ads that are VAST or otherwise contain a video file such as an MP4, WEBM, or HLS. This includes out-stream.
Note: We check for the video ad experience being enabled in order to opt inventory in to native video. Native video Guided design editor users will need to set up both a native video style as well as opt in to the video experience to make their inventory eligible.
|Allow unknown or minimum platform policy compliance only ads
Ads that have unknown ad behavior or that meet the minimum threshold to transact programmatically but don’t fully comply with all of our ad policies. This currently only includes video ads that don’t adhere to the non-in-stream video ad policy. Additional policies will be added in the future, including some of these.
- Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
- Click Protections Protections.
- Click New protection Ad content.
- Name your protection.
- From the “Inventory type” dropdown, select the medium on which you want to control the display of ads, such as Mobile app.
- The default is to apply the protection to all inventory. To target specific inventory:
- Select Only protect specified inventory, click Add targeting, select an item from the dropdown, and make your targeting selections.
- Learn more about targeting in protections.
- Under “Blocks” or “Opt-ins,” click Ad experiences.
- Move the sliders as needed to update the serving for an ad experience.
- Click Update.
- Add more protections as needed and click Save.