See which ads are eligible to deliver to your mobile app content to better understand the Google Ad Manager ad selection process or troubleshoot issues related to delivery. Simply link a device to see ad request and delivery details. You can then share the details with other users in your network.
Below are some common questions answered by Ad Manager delivery tools:
- Which ads delivered on my page?
- Why these ads and not others?
- Are my line items and creatives set up correctly?
- Why is my line item behind schedule, or not delivering at all?
Before inspecting delivery in your mobile app, you need to link your mobile device to Ad Manager to initiate inspection. Then, open Ad Manager to see delivery details from your linked mobile app.
- On your mobile device, open your mobile app and find an ad served by your Ad Manager network.
- Touch and hold the ad with two fingers to open the debug menu.
Be careful to not repeatedly tap the creative as accidental clicks might be mistaken for invalid activity.What if the debug gesture doesn't work for my creative?
Some creatives, such as custom native ads, aren't compatible with the debug gesture. As an alternative, you can add a special function in your mobile app's code to trigger the in-app menu. For example, you might add this function to a special button or gesture. iOS | Android
- Tap Troubleshooting in the debug menu.
If this is your first time inspecting delivery for this mobile app on your mobile device, you'll need to sign in to Ad Manager to confirm that you're an active user in the network and authorized to see delivery information. Sign in using your Ad Manager username and password and choose a name for your device so you can identify it in Ad Manager.
Open Ad Manager to collect ad delivery details
- On your computer, sign in to Google Ad Manager.
Make sure you're signed in to the same Ad Manager account and network as your device.
- Click Delivery Delivery Tools Mobile app ads.
- From the table, select the device you just linked in your most recent session.
Reload the ads on your mobile app
Now that you've linked your device to initiate inspection and opened Ad Manager, you're ready to start collecting ad delivery details. Details for any ads loaded before completing the steps above will not appear in Ad Manager.
- On your mobile device, reload the mobile app page, or start using the app.
- As ads load in your mobile app, information about delivery will appear in Ad Manager.
In Ad Manager delivery tools, information about each request and what ad delivered is displayed. Each row on the page represents an ad slot and request. Click a row to expand more details, then click Simulate Request to determine why a different ad delivered than the one you expected.
Information about requests
- Div: Identifies where on the page the ad slot appears, such as "top".
- Requested sizes: All sizes defined in the ad request.
- Key values: All key-values defined in the ad request. Click see all to see the full list.
Information about what delivered
- Demand channel: The method used to select the ad, such as "Open Bidding" or "Ad server". Learn more about demand channels.
- Advertiser, Order, line item, creative name and ID. Click the ID to open it in Ad Manager.
- Line item type
- Creative size
- Creative type
Block an Ad Exchange/AdSense ad or report an issue
You can block Ad Exchange/AdSense creatives or report a potential issue. Click the Creative details tab and then click one of the following next to “Suggestion”:
- Block ad: Prevent the creative from serving. The blocked ads will appear in the “Blocked” tab of Creative review.
- Report to policy: Submit a creative that may have policy issues to Google. We’ll review the creative and respond with our findings.
These buttons aren’t available for other creative types, but in this case we do provide suggestions on next steps.
You can share the details with users who have access to your network. This helps you collaborate with others to help determine a plan for troubleshooting your line items.
- Above the details on the Troubleshoot page, click Share this session.
- Click Copy URL. The URL is now copied to your clipboard and ready to be pasted
- Send the URL to a user with access to your network. Tell the user to paste the URL into their browser.
A simulation shows which line item would win if you were to request the ad slot again. If an unexpected line item wins the simulation, you can see why. Change targeting and tag information to try and get the desired line item to win the simulation.
When you click Simulate request, Ad Manager runs a simulation and provides the details outlined below.
This section recreates how the ad request you selected on the Troubleshoot page actually delivered. It includes:
- Ad request details: The request and targeting information for the winning line item.
- Winning line item details: The delivery details for the winning line item.
- View non-delivery reasons: Click this button to see reasons why other line items were selected to serve over this one in cases that this line item was eligible. Here are details of the possible non-delivery reasons.
Shows what would happen if you were to request this ad slot again.
The request and targeting information for the simulated request. It defaults to the current settings.
The delivery details for the line item that wins the simulation.
If an unexpected line item wins the simulation, you can use this box to search for the line item you thought would win and click Go. You’ll see a pop-up with the details for the winning line item on the left side, and the reasons for non-delivery of the line item you searched for on the right side.
Learn more about causes for line item non-delivery
You can change the targeting and tag information under "Ad request details" and then click Rerun simulation to see if the winning line item changes. If you eventually find a simulation that provides the desired winning line item, you can go back and update the actual targeting and tag information.
There are several possible reasons for this. Here are a few:
- Every run request, whether actual or simulated, happens dynamically. As a result, several things can change from one request to the other, including run time, goals, new line items to compete against, and so forth.
- The ad selection process can result in different line items serving from one ad request to the next.
- The simulation only considers one ad slot at a time. Therefore, if original winning line item is part of a request with multiple ad slots, like a roadblock, it won’t win the simulation.
- The line item reached a frequency cap.
- The line item met its delivery goal.
Why did my line item not deliver 100%?
Ad Manager distributes impression delivery based on both the Deliver impressions setting for the line items and Ad Manager pacing rules that attempt to optimize delivery. Changes to pacing may affect traffic and delivery.
If your line item isn't delivering properly, understand more with the line item delivery troubleshooter.
Linked devices are private by default, meaning that only you can use them in Ad Manager. If you want to open up the device for others to use for troubleshooting, you can update the settings in the Ad Manager Admin section.
- In Ad Manager, Click Admin Access & authorization Linked devices.
- In the “Visibility” column, click a cell, and select Public from the dropdown.