You can allow ads to appear for the restricted categories of alcohol and gambling/betting. Restricted categories consist of ads that were previously categorized as non-family safe and were not allowed on pages managed by Ad Exchange.
There's a network-level setting to opt in to alcohol ads; there's no such setting for gambling/betting ads.
When alcohol ads are opted in at the network level, alcohol and gambling/betting ads can serve to the following, regardless of the inventory-level setting:
- Traditional reservations
- Publisher-managed Programmatic Guaranteed
All inventory-level restricted categories are opted out by default. To be able to opt in to alcohol ads at the inventory level, you must first opt in at the network level.
Inventory-level restricted category opt-ins apply to these transactions:
- Advertiser-managed Programmatic Guaranteed
- Open Auctions
- First Look
- Preferred Deals
- Private Auctions
Learn more about transaction types.
Opt-in for inventory-level restricted categories
To activate the alcohol opt-in setting at the inventory level, first opt-in at the network level.
- Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
- Click Protections Protections
- Click New protection Ad content
- Name your opt-in.
- From the “Inventory type” dropdown, select the medium on which you want to allow the display of ads, such as Mobile app.
- The default is to apply the protection to all inventory. To target specific inventory:
- Select Only protect specified inventory, click Add targeting, select an item from the dropdown, and make your targeting selections.
- Learn more about targeting in protections.
- Under “Opt-ins,” click Add next to “Restricted categories.”
- Click the box to the left of the category you want to allow.
- The box will be green to indicate the category is allowed.
- A locked icon in the box means the category has been disabled for your account. Contact someone in your organization with Ad Manager admin privileges to enable the category. If that doesn't work, contact publisher support.
- Click Update.
- Add more protections as needed and click Save.