Block general categories
You can block high-level groupings of ads — such as Apparel, Finance, and Health — from appearing on your network or specified inventory.
Our system classifies ads automatically, and we don't rely solely on advertiser-provided categorization. Our technology makes its best attempt to filter ads from the possible categories; however, we don't guarantee that it will block every related ad.
General category blocks apply to these transactions
- Open Auctions
- Private Auctions
- Legacy private deals
Learn more about transaction types.
- Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
- Click Protections Protections
- Click New protection Ad content
- Name your protection.
- From the “Inventory type” dropdown, select the medium on which you want to control the display of ads, such as Mobile app.
- Target the inventory the protection will be applied to.
- If you select Only protect specified inventory, click Add targeting and make your targeting selections.
- Learn more about targeting in protections.
- Under “Blocks,” click Add next to “General categories”.
- Select the checkboxes of the general categories whose ads you want to exclude.
- You can also expand each top-level category to select sub-categories.
- The "Estimated 7-day revenue impact" column shows how blocking the category affects your revenue.
- Click Update.
- Add more protections as needed and click Save.
When you block a general category, ads in that category will be blocked if they’re in any of the following languages.
- Chinese (Simplified)