Beginning January 16, 2024, publishers and developers using Google AdSense, Ad Manager, or AdMob will be required to use a Consent Management Platform (CMP) that has been certified by Google and has integrated with the IAB's Transparency and Consent Framework (TCF) when serving ads to users in the European Economic Area or the UK.
Review the following information to understand these new requirements, the timing of these changes, and what publishers can do to prepare.
New IAB TCF requirement
Publishers will need to ensure they are working with a Google-certified CMP when serving ads to users in the European Economic Area or the UK. Google-certified CMPs are assessed by Google against Google certification criteria focused on TCF compliance. If publishers using the TCF also work with ad technology providers that are not registered with the TCF, Google supports that today—through our Additional Consent specification—and will continue to do so. Our CMP assessments will check that CMPs supporting our Additional Consent specification can do so correctly. Successful review of a CMP against the Google-certification criteria will make that CMP available in our list of Google-certified CMPs. Google does not check CMPs for full compliance with the TCF or applicable privacy laws.
Additionally, please note the following:
Web and app fallback behavior: If a partner does not adopt a Google-certified CMP, only limited ads will be eligible to serve. Traffic from a Google-certified CMP will continue to be eligible for personalized ads, non-personalized ads (NPA), or limited ads.
- App off-platform versus on-platform: Our consent requirements apply to both on- and off-platform mediation.
- CTV inventory: Beginning July 2024, our consent management requirements will apply to CTV inventory.
If you work with an existing CMP that is not included on the following list of Google-certified CMPs, please contact your CMP to understand if they intend to be certified.
Guide to the information in this list
- Certified CMP: The name of the Google-certified CMP.
- TCF CMP ID: The unique identifier assigned to a TCF-validated CMP by the IAB.
- Platform: The environments in which the CMP offers support and in which Google has certified the CMP.
List of Google-certified CMPs
- May 2023 and onward: Google has begun the process of certifying CMPs that work with our publishing partners. Google will work with CMPs to certify them against the certification criteria.
- Beginning January 16, 2024: In addition to our EU user consent policy, publishers and developers using Google AdSense, Ad Manager, or AdMob will be required to use a Consent Management Platform (CMP) that has been certified by Google and has integrated with the IAB's Transparency and Consent Framework (TCF) when serving ads to users in the European Economic Area or the UK. We will follow up with more details regarding timing.
- Publishers already working with a CMP: To ensure a smooth transition, publishers currently working with a CMP should proactively talk with their provider about the certification process.
- Publishers with their own CMP: Publishers who have their own CMPs can register their interest in completing certification for their CMP. Learn more about CMP certification
- Publishers who need to find a CMP: For publishers seeking a new CMP partner, they can consider the list of Google-certified CMPs above. We will regularly add other CMPs as they become certified.
- Publishers using Google’s Privacy & messaging European regulations messages: We encourage publishers to consider which CMP solution is best for them. To support publishers, the European regulations message available to Ad Manager, AdSense, and AdMob publishers in the Privacy & messaging tab are certified in accordance with the new TCF requirement. Learn more about Privacy & Messaging GDPR support and integration with TCF