About traffic explorer
Traffic Explorer helps you examine specific data with a consolidated view. It gives instant insight about first-party data from your inventory. You can also compare sections of your inventory for improved campaign insight.
The high-level scorecards break down top geography, line item, ad units and more, by exploring certain targeting scenarios to filter inventory segments.
With traffic explorer, you can:
- Use a given set of targeting dimensions to build more detailed inventory insight (device, geography, platform, browser, ad unit, line item, key-value, and more listed below)
- View scorecards for an overview of audience segment reach, including ad opportunities and unique identifiers
- View explorer cards to see multiple insight cards, showing unique identifier forecasts and various breakdowns across dimensions
Access traffic explorer
- Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
- Click Inventory Traffic explorer.
- Click Edit targeting to explore traffic data. This filters to the segment of inventory you’re interested in.
- Add the targeting preset and click Done.
You can also access traffic explorer through the targeting picker.
- In Google Ad Manager, click Delivery Line items.
- Select a line item.
- In the “Add targeting” section, use the drop-down to select your desired targeting, and add any sub-targets you want to filter by.
- Click Save click Explorer traffic data. The targeting expression will be copied over.
View more details about your inventory using these scorecards.
Gives historical traffic along with future impression opportunities for a selected inventory, and sell-through rates.
Click View in traffic forecast for more tools to analyze past and future impressions.
The top regions where users in this audience segment are located when visiting your site. Click into a country’s bar to see more granular data at the state or region level.
Devices where the most ad opportunities or unique identifiers were served
The top browsers that users in this selected inventory are visiting your site from
Platforms with the most ad opportunities or unique identifiers served
Top ad units
Your ad units with the most ad opportunities or unique identifiers served
Top line items
Your line items with the most ad opportunities or unique identifiers served
Top video contentYour top video content with the most unique identifiers or ad opportunities served. Note that the data shown here represents an estimate based on traffic sampled over the last 30 days, so the figures might not be exact.
Top content bundlesYour video content bundles with the most unique identifiers or ad opportunities served. Note that the data shown here represents an estimate based on traffic sampled over the last 30 days, so the figures might not be exact.
Top key values
Shows the top targeting values of a selected key
Use cases for Traffic Explorer
Respond to RFPs/buyer interest
To provide data to buyers that shows the value of running a campaign based on their particular needs, you can filter down to the inventory of interest in Traffic Explorer.
Identical Audience Explorer functionality for publishers using key-values instead of audience
Publishers using key-values to leverage audience data can use Traffic Explorer to understand the nature of your audience by filtering down to the key-value that represents your audience.
General learning and first-party data development
Traffic Explorer could show you, for example, users on your sports inventory visiting from Canada tend to also be in your Movie Fan and Non-Fiction Enthusiast audience segments. Running ads on your sports inventory may actually be a good place to reach these users.
Build audience segments
Use Traffic Explorer as inspiration to build a new audience segment if visitors to a specific segment of your inventory exhibit some behavior of interest.
When there is an unexpected change in inventory, Traffic Explorer can be used to quickly analyze the situation.
Share data summary with executives
Traffic Explorer’s visual representation makes it easy to share snapshots of trends and performance with others in your business who may not be in the tool on a day-to-day basis.