Creative targeting can be applied to these line items only if:
- The originating proposal line item was configured with at least one size with >1 count. Click "provide some creative details" under the "Sizes" section of a proposal line item to configure additional sizes.
- The "Creative source" setting in the originating proposal line item was set to Publisher managed.
If only one size is included in the originating proposal line item, the corresponding line item won't be enabled for creative targeting. If the "Creative source" is set to Advertiser provided, creative targeting can't be applied.
Proposal line items specify a creative count for each size. For example, the size 728x90 can be added to the proposal line item along with a creative count of three (3). When Ad Manager creates the corresponding line item, the "Inventory size" section of a line item shows 728x90 along with the creative count of three (3).
Traffickers can apply creative targeting for all ad sizes in the line item. Alternatively, traffickers can break out sizes as separate entries and add unique targeting for each size. For instance, in the example above with three 728x90 sizes, the trafficker can configure creative targeting into three separate entries of 728x90 sizes, each entry with a count of one (1). The trafficker can then apply unique targeting to each size entry.
The creative count configured in line items must be the same as the count set in their originating proposal line items—either as the number specified in a single entry for an ad size or as the sum of all numbers entered for separate entries. Similarly, the ad sizes specified in originating proposal line items must be represented in the corresponding line items.
For example, again using the scenario above with three 728x90 sizes, you would not be able to set the creative count in the corresponding line item to four (4) or two (2) 728x90 sizes (whether as a single entry or separate entries). The creative count must be three (3) since this value was specified in the originating proposal line item. This value must therefore be reflected either as a single entry or as the sum of separate entries. Similarly, you wouldn't be able to include the ad size 120x600 in the corresponding line item since this size wasn't mentioned in the originating proposal line item.
When applying targeting to sizes, ensure that unique targeting presets are used for sizes of the same dimension. You cannot apply, for example, the same targeting preset to two (2) 728x90 sizes in the same line item. You could, however, apply the same targeting preset to one (1) 728x90 and one (1) 120x600 size in the same line item.
If the originating proposal line item did not overbook at the time Ad Manager reserved inventory, Ad Manager allows you to apply creative targeting as long as this targeting does not cause the line item to overbook.
If the originating proposal line item did overbook at the time Ad Manager reserved inventory, Ad Manager does not impose any restrictions on creative targeting. Ad Manager allows you to apply creative targeting even if it causes the line item to overbook.
Publishers should follow the standards and best practices outlined in Google Ad Traffic Quality . This resource includes topics such as:
- Importance of high quality websites
- Correct implementation of ads
- Monitoring traffic regularly
- Rules on disabling accounts
Creatives uploaded by the buyer are approved by Google before Programmatic Direct campaigns run. Ensure that the buyer's creatives have been approved or delivery will not start. Google filters invalid or blocked traffic that violates the Google Ad Manager Partner Guidelines.
Programmatic Direct campaigns can be affected when these best practices are not followed and could result in lower than expected delivery.
Some campaigns might need to target inventory of the same sizes on a single page. A common case are roadblock campaigns, where your buyer wants to serve multiple creatives on the same page. Ad Manager supports only Programmatic Guaranteed Roadblocks.
In Ad Manager:
- Specify a count for each size in proposal line items. Adding a count ensures that Ad Manager adds the correct number of sizes of creative placeholders in the corresponding line item. This means that Ad Manager can request the correct number of creatives and sizes from the buyer's DSP and ad serving.
- Set "Display creatives" to All or As many as possible. Learn more
To specify count:
- In the "Expected creatives" section, add each size that appears on the page to your proposal line item.
- Click Show creative details under the "Size" field.
- In the "Count" field, enter the number of each size.
For Programmatic Guaranteed sponsorships with advertiser-hosted creatives, you only need one creative for each unique size. That creative can serve to multiple slots of that size on the page.