|If you need to focus on something important, you can limit notifications in Chat or Gmail.|
Temporarily mute notifications
- Go to Google Chat or your Gmail account.
- At the top, click your status.
- Select Do not disturb Select a time period to mute notifications.
Tip: Notifications automatically turn back on after the mute period expires. To end mute sooner, click your status Do not disturb Turn off Do not disturb.
Change notification preferences
- Open chat.google.com or the Chat standalone desktop app.
- In the top right, click Settings Settings.
- To turn on notifications for Chat messages, under "Desktop notifications," check the box next to "Allow chat notifications."
- Optional: To play a sound for incoming chat notifications, check the box next to Play notification sounds.
- Optional: To turn email notifications for unread messages on or off, under Email notifications, select Only @mentions & direct messages or Off.
Stop chat pop-ups in Gmail
- Open Gmail.
- At the top right, click Settings See all settings.
- At the top, click Chat and MeetManage chat settings.
- Under Desktop notifications, uncheck Open chat pop-ups for new messages.