Supported editions for this feature: Frontline; Business Starter, Business Standard and Business Plus; Enterprise; Education Fundamentals, Education Standard, Teaching and Learning Upgrade, and Education Plus; G Suite Basic and G Suite Business. Compare your edition
As an administrator, when you deploy Google Drive for desktop for your organization, you can review information about devices that use Drive for desktop and the Drive for desktop installation. You can also restrict Drive for desktop to only company-owned devices.
Note: Drive for desktop does not prevent data theft. Users can copy data from Drive for desktop to non-secured areas like another hard drive partition.
You can get Drive for desktop information, such as the version number, last sync date, or the amount of offline data on a device, in the Google Admin console devices list.
From the Admin console Home page, go to Devices.
- Click Endpoints.
- To view only devices that have Drive for desktop:
- At the top of the device list, click Add a filter.
- Select Management TypeDrive for desktopApply.
- To view Drive for desktop details for a device, click the device and find the Drive for desktop section. For a description of all available device information, see View laptop and desktop device details.
Requirements: Devices must be entered in your company owned device inventory. If the serial number in the inventory doesn't match the device's, or the device isn't in the inventory, the device is blocked from using Drive for desktop.
Before you begin: To apply the setting for certain users, put their accounts in an organizational unit.
In the Admin console, go to Menu AppsGoogle WorkspaceDrive and Docs.
- Click Features and ApplicationsGoogle Drive for desktop.
- To apply the setting to everyone, leave the top organizational unit selected. Otherwise, select a child organizational unit.
- Check Only allow Google Drive for desktop on authorized devices.
- Click Save. If you configured a child organizational unit, you might be able to Inherit or Override a parent organizational unit's settings.
If personal (not company-owned) devices already have Drive for desktop, devices lose access after they're restarted or Drive for desktop checks the device's compliance (a maximum of 3 hours), whichever comes first.