Set up Android devices your company owns
If you have the legacy free edition of G Suite, upgrade to G Suite Basic to get this feature.
As an administrator, you can control the Android 6.0 Marshmallow and later devices your company owns. You can apply policies to control app installation, personal accounts, hardware, network settings, and security options. To control the devices, you or the user needs to assign ownership of the device to your organization.
Before you begin
Before assigning ownership of a device to your company:
- Factory reset the device (if the device is already in use).
- Set up advanced mobile device management.
A user can assign device ownership to a new or factory-reset device. They confirm that the device is company-owned when they add their corporate account. If the user owns the device, they can opt out by checking the I own the device box.
This feature is available with G Suite Business and Enterprise editions. Compare editions
As an administrator, you can import the serial numbers of devices in the Google Admin console to register these devices as company owned. As soon as a user adds their corporate account to a registered device, ownership of the device is automatically assigned to your company. With this option:
- Users can’t opt-out.
- You can view devices you import in a company-owned devices list.
- You don’t need to approve devices for management, even if device approvals are on.
- You can get a monthly report of inactive company devices.
Import device details
From the Admin console Home page, go to Device management.
To see Device management, you might have to click More controls at the bottom.
- Click Mobile devices.
- (Optional) On the left under Device ownership, click the Down arrow and select Personal. From the list, get the serial numbers of any managed devices you want to change to company-owned devices.
- On the left under Device ownership, click the Down arrow and select Company owned.
- At the top, click Add .
- Click Download.
- Open the template file and enter the following device information:
- Serial number of the device (Required)
- Asset tag to assign to the device (Optional)
- Save the file.
- Go back to Admin console and click Choose File.
- Open the file you just saved and click Import.
Fix a problem
If any device serial numbers aren't imported, you might see these error messages:
- Duplicate serial number—This serial number already exists as a company-owned device.
- Invalid/empty serial number—A serial number is required.
To fix the problem, you should:
- Fix any errors.
- Remove the serial numbers that were successfully imported from the template file.
- Upload the file again.
- Get a report of inactive company devices
- Apply settings for Android mobile devices
- Assign your company as owner of a device