Google Chat has the following known limitations. Read each one carefully to make sure you understand the impact to your organization before switching users to Chat.
Interoperability between classic Hangouts and Google Chat
Direct 1:1 messages, new group chats, and unthreaded rooms in Chat appear in classic Hangouts, and the other way around. However, legacy group chats and threaded rooms in Chat do not interoperate with classic Hangouts.
Learn more about Chat and classic Hangouts interoperability.
- Turning chat notifications off from Gmail will also turn off notifications in the Chat app.
- If you want to continue to get chat message notifications from the Chat app but not receive them in Gmail, you have to turn desktop notifications off from Gmail.
Room participant limits
The number of participants you can have in a Chat room depends on the room type.
|Room type||Description||Maximum number of participants|
|Threaded||Separate conversations grouped by topic||8,000|
|Unthreaded||Single conversation stream||400|
External chat network
- Users in Google Workspace organizations that have not yet turned on Chat won't be reachable through Chat. Users can message any external users in organizations that have Chat turned on.
- Users can still use hangouts.google.com for external chats, and the classic Hangouts chats will then be mirrored in Chat.
- External guests can’t be added to group chats created on Chat. However, users who have classic Hangouts enabled can create unnamed group conversations in classic Hangouts if the Chat externally setting is On. The classic Hangouts group conversation can then show up in Chat as a new group chat with external guests.
- Essentials edition only: If your domain is not verified, users can't add coworkers outside their Essentials team to a group chat. Everyone outside the Essentials team is considered an external guest, including people in their larger organization. If the domain is verified, users can have group chats with anyone in their organization.
Mobile app experiences for classic Hangouts
When you turn off classic Hangouts apps and migrate your organization to Chat:
- Users need to install the latest version of the classic Hangouts mobile app (Android, iOS) to see messages redirecting users to download the Google Chat app. In addition, Android users need to have Android 6.0 or above.
- Users on earlier versions of the classic Hangouts mobile apps will see all previous messages even though the app is turned off. They can't, however, send or receive new messages and won't receive any notifications.
- Phone calls and text messages using Google Voice are not directly available through Chat.
Users can switch apps to use voice.google.com to make phone calls and send or receive text messages, or download the Google Voice app on their mobile devices (Android, iOS).
Note: If a user hasn't already set up Voice on their Google Workspace account, your organization will need to get a Voice license for new users to sign up for Voice.
- Fi users: Chat does not support integration with Google Fi. Google Fi users who chose classic Hangouts as their default text messaging app for their device can still send and receive text messages using the classic Hangouts app on their Google Fi mobile device.
Chat standalone app
Refer to Use the Google Chat standalone app to check for possible limitations.