People in your organization can use the Google Chat standalone app for a faster and more secure experience. You can deploy the app to your organization, or you can allow users to install the app themselves.
About the standalone app
- Built using Progressive Web App (PWA) technology.
- Updates automatically — users only need to keep up with Chrome Browser updates.
- Supported on Windows, macOS, Chrome OS, and Linux (with Chrome Browser version 73 or higher).
Option 1: Deploy the app to users
You deploy the app to your users through the Chrome policy managementsettings.
From the Admin console Home page, go to DevicesChrome.
Click Apps & extensions.
Point to Add and click Add by URL .
In the URL field, enter https://mail.google.com/chat/download
Important: Enter the URL exactly as it appears above.
From the Open website in list, select Separate window.
Option 2: Let users install the app
To let users install the app themselves:
- Make sure users can install Chrome Browser extensions and apps. For details, go to Allow or block apps and extensions.
- Direct users to the steps to Install the Chat standalone app.
We’re working to address these limitations with the Chat standalone app:
- You need Chrome Browser 73 or higher installed on your computer. Chrome Browser doesn't have to be your default browser to use the standalone app.
- To use the standalone app, the Chrome Browser needs to be open.
- The standalone app is not yet packageable by enterprise re-packagers such as SCCM.