Can't add a user to a group
If you get a message that a user is already a member when you try adding them to a group, it could mean that you entered an invalid email address. It’s also possible that the user is already in the group—either with the email address you entered or an alternate email.
Step 1: Check the user’s email address
You might have entered an incorrect email address. Check the email address and try again.
View the group's members and check if the email address is already listed.
From the Admin console Home page, go to Groups.
If you don't see Groups on the Home page, at the bottom, click More controls.
- Click the name of the group.
- Click Members to see the group's members and their email addresses.
Tip: Click Download to download the members' information in a comma-separated values (CSV) file or in Google Sheets.
Step 3: Check the user’s aliases and alternate addresses
An email address that’s associated with the user’s account, such as an email alias or alternate email address, might be a group member. You can check email aliases in the Google Admin console. You cannot access a user's alternate email addresses, but they can provide them for you.
- From the Admin console Home page, go to Users.
- In the Users list, find the user. If you need help, see Find a user account.
- Click the user’s name to open their account page.
- To check for email aliases, click User information Email aliases.
- Ask the user to sign in to their managed Google account and go to https://myaccount.google.com/email. Under Alternate emails, have them give you all of their alternate email addresses.
- Check if any email aliases or alternate email addresses are already a group member (see Step 2 above).
Still need help?
Contact G Suite support.