If you have Essentials edition, classic Sites are not available.
As an administrator, you can turn classic and new Sites on or off for people in your organization. People who have classic and new Sites turned on can use it to create and manage websites at your organization’s web address.
Using multiple domains? People in all your domains can use Sites. For details, see Add multiple domains or domain aliases.
Control who uses classic and new Sites in your organization
Before you begin: To turn a service on or off for certain users, put their accounts in an organizational unit (to control access by department) or add them to an access group (to allow access for users across or within departments).
From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsGoogle WorkspaceSites.
Click Service status.
To turn on or off a service for everyone in your organization, click On for everyone or Off for everyone, and then click Save.
(Optional) To turn a service on or off for an organizational unit:
- At the left, select the organizational unit.
- Select On or Off.
- Click Override to keep your setting if the service for the parent organizational unit is changed.
- If Overridden is already set for the organizational unit, choose an option:
- Inherit—Reverts to the same setting as its parent.
- Save—Saves your new setting (even if the parent setting changes).
Learn more about organizational structure.
To turn on a service for a set of users across or within organizational units, select an access group. For details, go to turn on a service for a group.
Impact of turning off Sites access
If the Sites service is turned off:
- An error message is displayed to users indicating that they don't have access to Sites and should contact their domain administrator to provide access.
- Users can't access existing Sites, pages, or a list of all sites.
- The classic Sites API doesn't work.
- Site project files aren’t deleted, but they can’t be accessed. If Sites is turned back on, people can access their site project files.
Disable creating classic Sites
We recommend you disable creating classic Sites, because new Sites is replacing it. Learn more about the Transition from classic Sites to new Sites.
- From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsGoogle WorkspaceSites.
- Click Sharing settings - classic Sites.
- Under Site creation and editing click Site creation.
- You can disable classic Site creation by clicking Users at <your domain> cannot create sites Save.
Alternatively, if you still want users to be able to create in classic Sites, select Users at <your domain> can create sites and click Save. By December 2021, Migrate classic Sites to new Sites.