If you're an administrator of Google accounts for an organization, you can control who uses Google Play from their account. Just turn the service on or off for those people in your Admin console. People for whom you turn on Google Play can use it to download and purchase mobile content and apps in their accounts.
Control who uses Google Play
Before you begin: To turn the service on or off for certain users: Put their accounts in an organizational unit (to control access by department) or put them in an access group (to control access for users across or within departments).
From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsAdditional Google services.
Click Google Play.
Tip: Scroll to see all services. Or at the left, choose a Filter to narrow the list, for example, based on status or popularity.
- Click Service status.
To turn on or off a service for everyone in your organization, click On for everyone or Off for everyone, and then click Save.
To turn on or off a service only for users in an organizational unit:
- At the left, select the organizational unit.
- Select On or Off.
- To keep the service turned on or off even when the service is turned on or off for the parent organizational unit, click Override.
- If the organization's status is already Overridden, choose an option:
- Inherit—Reverts to the same setting as its parent.
- Save—Saves your new setting (even if the parent setting changes).
Learn more about organizational structure.
To turn on a service for a set of users across or within organizational units, select an access group. For details, go to turn on a service for a group.
If you chose to turn off Google Play for users in your domain, expect to see the following:
- Users for whom Google Play is turned off will be unable to download or purchase any new content from Google Play. However, any content that was previously downloaded will remain on their devices and continue to receive updates.
- If a user switches to a new device, any previously downloaded content will be available for download to the new device using the same account.
- If users have other Google accounts on their devices, such as a personal account, they might be able to use Google Play with those accounts.
- You will be unable to manage your business’s new mobile devices from the Google Admin console because the Device Policy app must be downloaded from Google Play.
- If you manage Android apps on Chrome devices in your organization, you’ll still be able to force-install and decide which Android apps users can install. Learn more about managing Android apps on Chrome.
Turning off Google Play doesn’t affect managed Google Play or Google Payments. If you wish to allow downloads of free content while blocking purchases from Google Play, you can turn off Google Payments.