Turn new Sites on or off for users
This article is for administrators of the new Google Sites (Publish button at the top right). Get administrator help for the classic Google Sites.
As a G Suite administrator, you can enable or disable people’s ability to create and edit sites.
Note: To enable new Sites, Drive must also be turned on for the required organizational units.
- From the Admin console dashboard, go to AppsG SuiteSites.
- Select New Sites.
- Under Site creation, select an option:
- Users can create and edit sites
- Users cannot create and edit sites
- Click Save.
- Verify that Drive is turned on for the same organizational units that will use new Sites.
- (Optional) Revise the sharing and publishing settings in Drive.
If the Sites service is turned off:
- All users can view the Sites menu option in their browser, but receive an error message when trying to access or edit a site project file.
- Site project files aren’t deleted, but they can’t be accessed. If Sites is turned back on, people can access their site project files.
This means that if Drive is turned off, Sites are also unavailable for editing, but users’ site data is not deleted.
- People in your organization cannot view published sites if Drive or Sites is turned off (they can only view published Sites if logged out of their work or school account). People outside your organization can still view published sites.
- Site project files can’t be accessed. If Drive is turned back on, people can access their site project files again.