Restore a user’s Gmail and Drive data
If a G Suite user permanently deletes their Gmail or Drive data and later wants to get it back, you may be able to retrieve it for them. As an administrator, you can restore the user’s data from the Admin console within a date range you specify.
You can only restore permanently deleted items. An item is permanently deleted when the user's Trash is emptied.
After you restore an item in Drive, the user needs to re-share the item for others to have access.
You have a limited time from when the data was permanently deleted to restore files and messages. After that, the data is gone forever.
What you can do
- Restore data that was permanently deleted within the past 25 days.
- Select a date range to restore data that was deleted within that range.
- Check a user’s Gmail inbox or Drive folder to confirm the data is restored.
- Use Vault to restore Gmail messages.
- Restore data to a Team Drive, or restore a deleted Team Drive. Learn more
What you can’t do
- Restore data that was permanently deleted more than 25 days ago..
- Restore a deleted folder structure. For example, if you delete the main folder, you won't be able to recover
the original folder structure.
- From the spam folder, restore deleted messages.
- Restore deleted email drafts.
- In Drive, restore deleted Google My Maps files or Fusion Tables.
- From the user’s Trash, restore data.
- If a user met their Drive storage quota, restore their Drive data.
Restore Gmail and Drive dataRestore one user's data
- From the Admin console Home page, go to Users.
- In the Users list, find the user. If you need help, see Find a user account.
- Hover over the user and click More Restore data.
You can also find this option at the top-left of the user's account page, under More .
- Select the date range for the data you want to restore, from within the last 25 days.
- Select the type of data you want to restore: Drive or Gmail.
- Click Restore.
Use Vault to restore Gmail messages
Restore deleted Team Drives or data
Confirm data was restored
To confirm that you restored the data:
- Check the user’s Gmail inbox for restored email messages.
- Check the user's Drive folder for restored Drive data.
The Drive data is restored to the user's Drive folder in the same location as before it was deleted.