When you sign up for Google Workspace or Cloud Identity, you provide a domain name that becomes the primary domain associated with your account. You and your users get usernames and email addresses at this domain.
Do I really need a new primary domain?
Changing your primary domain isn't always necessary—and it's an involved process. Depending on your needs, you might simply add your other domain as a domain alias or an additional domain.
Changing your primary domain is generally only necessary if you:
- Would like your users to sign in to their accounts using a new primary domain name.
- Lose ownership of your old domain and would like to remove it from your account.
- Would like consistent branding in Drive shares and Calendar invites, which always shows the primary email address of the user.
- Use Google App Engine, which signs in user accounts on the primary domain.
Can I change the primary domain for my account?
You can change the primary domain of some Google Workspace and Cloud Identity editions.
You cannot change your primary domain if:
- You purchased your domain when you signed up for Google Workspace.
- You are still in the free trial period. If you signed up with the wrong domain, cancel your Google Workspace account.
- Your domain is unverified. You can verify your domain or cancel your Google Workspace account.
- You purchased Google Workspacethrough your Google Domains account.
- You are a Google Workspace or Google Cloud reseller. (Note: if you are the customer of a reseller, be sure to notify your reseller after you change your domain.)
- You have G Suite legacy free edition.
- You have Google Meet Hardwaredevices.
Contact support for assistance with these services:
We just want email addresses at the new domain
To send and receive mail using an address at a new domain, add the domain as a domain alias. Users still sign in to their account at the old domain, but they can send and receive mail with addresses at either their new or old domain.
To get started, follow the steps at Add multiple domains or domain aliases.
We really want a new primary domain
Review the requirements and follow the steps in Change your primary domain.