Manage domain registration renewals
If you purchase a domain through Google while signing up for Google services, your domain ownership is valid for one year. After that, you must renew your domain registration to keep owning the domain. For domains purchased through Google, in the Admin console, you can set up automatic renewal of your domain registration. You can also turn off automatic renewals if you no longer want to manage your domain through Google.
Note: If you purchased your domain through Google Domains, billing is managed through your G Suite or Cloud Identity Premium account. In this case, your domain registration is set to renew automatically, and you can’t change this option. If you don’t want your domain registration to renew automatically, you need to cancel your domain billing subscription with G Suite or Cloud Identity Premium and set up billing directly with Google Domains. During billing subscription setup, you can turn off automatic domain registration renewal.
Set your domain registration renewal option
- From the Admin console dashboard, go to Billing.
- Next to your Domain Registration subscription, click the Down arrow .
- Next to Renewal options, click Change.
- Select one of the following options:
- Auto-Renew (Recommended)—Automatically renews your domain 7 days before its actual renewal date. Your primary payment method is charged for the renewal at the beginning of the following month. Your Google services continue uninterrupted.
- Do Not Auto-Renew—Lets the domain registration expire at its renewal date and suspends your Google services at that time.
Questions?Can I pay for several years at once?
No. You can’t pay for multiple years at once, nor can you renew your domain before its annual renewal date. If your domain is set to automatically renew and your payment method is valid, we’ll renew your domain for you and your Google services will continue uninterrupted.
Maybe. It depends how long it’s been since your registration expired. See Renew an expired domain registration.
It depends on your subscription. If your Domain Registration subscription is set to automatically renew and the renewal date has passed, you can’t receive a refund for payments. However, if you turn off automatic renewal during the 7 days prior to your expiration date, but we’ve already charged you for the renewal, you may qualify for a refund. To qualify, you must cancel your Domain Registration subscription and contact Google within 7 days of the renewal date.
Need more help?
If you followed the steps above but still have questions about renewing your domain, contact Google.