Migrate data from Exchange using GAMME
If you've set up your organization to use Google Apps, you can migrate migrate users' mail, calendars and contacts from your Exchange environment to Google Apps using Google Apps Migration for Microsoft® Exchange.
- Google Apps for Business or Google Apps for Education
- Microsoft® Exchange 2000/2003/2007/2010. Note that GAMME also can migrate mail from PST files and IMAP servers (Novell® GroupWise®, Cyrus, Dovecot, Courier, SunMail, Zimbra or Gmail). For more information, see the GAMME Admin Guide.
- Administrator access to Exchange and super administrator access to Google Apps
Considerations for folders:
- They will be migrated into labels
- They must contain messages or the labels will not be migrated
- Messages have to be present at each level of nested labels or the structure will be broken
Set up the migration
To learn more about Google Apps Migration for Microsoft® Exchange, see the GAMME Admin Guide, which includes detailed information about how the utility works, getting started, and running your migration.
Create user list
Before you begin, create a list of the user accounts that you are migrating. When migrating from a Microsoft® Exchange Server, we recommend you use the same usernames in Google Apps as you do in your current mail server. This streamlines the process and allows you to create user lists with just one name or SMTP address per line. You don't need to enter your users' passwords in the CSV because authentication is through your Exchange server administrator account.
Generic example of CSV:
If the addresses in your mail server are different from the addresses in Google Apps, then you need two addresses per line in the CSV: the mail-server address followed by the Google Apps address.
Ensure that there are no extra characters in the CSV file. Some software can insert quotation marks around each line, which will cause the tool to fail. Learn more about creating a CSV file for GAMME to migrate users and calendar resources. To migrate only a portion of your users at a time, see "Migrate a subset of users" in the GAMME Admin Guide.
Configure the Admin console
Step 1: Enable Domain Admin API access
- Sign in to the Google Admin console.
- Click Security > API reference.
Where is it?
- Check Enable API access.
- Click Save changes.
Step 2: Enable your OAuth consumer key
You must configure OAuth Client access to migrate data.
- In the Admin console, click Security > Advanced settings > Authentication > Manage OAuth domain key.
- Click Enable this consumer key and then write down your OAuth consumer key and your OAuth consumer secret.
Step 3: Specify the API scopes
- Click Security > Advanced settings > Authentication section, and click Manage third party OAuth Client access.
- In the Client Name field, enter your OAuth consumer key from step 2. This is usually your primary domain: example.com or www.example.com.
- In the One or More API Scopes field, enter the following comma-separated list of URLs:
- Click Authorize. You can now migrate data to your domain(s).
Configure the utility
The instructions below are for Exchange servers in your network. If you're migrating from a hosted Exchange server, you'll need to Specify a profile to use for migration and enter the Outlook Admin Profile you want to use to log in to your hosted Exchange Server. Learn more on page 41 of the GAMME Admin Guide.
Step 1 of 3: Server Details
For Server Type, select Exchange.
In the Hostname/IP Address field, enter your domain name or the IP address of the email server from which you want to migrate data. For example: smtp.mydomain.com or 198.102.434.8.
For Admin username, enter the username for the Microsoft® Exchange administrator account you want to use to open your users' mail stores.
Step 2 of 3: User and Domain Information
In the Google Apps domain name field, enter the new primary Google Apps domain where the data will be migrated.
In the Google Apps Two-legged OAuth details section, you'll need to copy the Consumer key and Consumer secret from the Advanced tools > Manage OAuth domain key page and paste the information into the corresponding field in the utility.
For the File of users to migrate field, select the CSV file that you created before beginning the configuration.
Step 3 of 3: Migration Settings
Select the checkbox for each type of data you want to migrate: Email, Calendar, or Contacts. See the Administration guide for more details. See Step 4 of the GAMME Admin Guide for more information.
The Migration Settings screen appears, showing a summary of the configuration.
Review and optionally make changes to the settings:
Migrate all data: Only use this option if you are migrating an account again.
Save settings: When checked, the utility will retain the current configuration for future use.
Run Diagnostics: When checked, the utility will verify the configuration before running the migration.
Estimate: When checked, the utility will estimate the message count for the source users.
Migrate: When checked, the utility will perform the migration.
Click Next to begin the migration process.
In the dialog box that appears, enter the username and password for the Microsoft® Exchange administrator account you are using to open your users' mail stores. Selecting Remember my password will bypass this step in future migrations.
Click OK to begin the migration process.