As an administrator for your organization, you can migrate users' email, calendar, and contact data from your Microsoft Exchange environment to Google Workspace using Google Workspace Migration for Microsoft Exchange (GWMME).
Step 1: Before you begin
- Meet the system requirements—For details, go to GWMME system requirements.
- Set up an Outlook profile to use in Step 4 (below)–You can use a Microsoft Outlook profile with any Exchange setup. However, you must use an Outlook profile if you:
- Are migrating from Exchange 2016 or later.
- Are migrating from Exchange Online (Office 365).
Note: If you’re migrating from Exchange Online, you also must be using Outlook 2016 or 2019.
- Have Outlook 2016 or later installed on your GWMME machine (even if you're migrating from Exchange 2013 or earlier).
- Create CSV files—Depending on what you plan to migrate, you might need 2 CSV files:
Step 2: Authorize GWMME
Before you can install GWMME, you must authorize the software for your account. For details, go to Authorize GWMME for your account.
Step 3: Download and install GWMME
- Download the MSI file. For the link to download, go to the GWMME download page.
- Open the installer and follow the instructions to install GWMME.
Step 4: Configure GWMME
Complete these steps in the GWMME tool.Step 1: Specify Exchange details
Depending on the version of Outlook you’re using, you might not see all the fields in this step.
- Click StartGoogle Workspace MigrationGoogle Workspace Migration for Microsoft Exchange.
- For Server Type, select Exchange.
- If you’re migrating from Exchange Online (Office 365) or Exchange 2016 or later, click Specify a profile to use for migration and select an Outlook admin profile.
- If you’re migrating from other versions of Exchange:
- Click Hostname/IP Address and enter your source domain name or the IP address of the email server where you’re migrating from. For example: smtp.example.com or 198.51.100.1.
- Click Admin username and enter the username for the Exchange admin account that you want to use to open your users' mail stores.
- Click Next.
- Click Google Workspace domain name and enter the new primary Google Workspace target domain where the data will be migrated.
Note: If you're migrating mail to a Google Workspace account with secondary domains, the target domain you enter might differ from the domain in the email addresses you’re migrating.
- Click Service account credentials file and enter the path to the JSON file created as part of the authorization process.
- Click Google Workspace admin user and enter the full email address of your Google Workspace super administrator account.
- Click Next.
- Check the box next to each type of data that you want to migrate.
- Click File of accounts to migrate, enter the path to the control CSV file, and click Next.
- Review the migration settings and check the box next to each optional setting that you want to use:
- Migrate all data—Overwrites existing data during migration (when unchecked, duplicate messages are skipped)
- Save settings—Retains the current configuration for future use
- Run Diagnostics—Verifies the configuration before running the migration
- Estimate—Estimates the message count for the source users
- Migrate—Performs the migration
- Click Next.
- If prompted, specify the username and password for the Exchange admin account you're using to open your users' mail stores.
Tip: To skip this step in future migrations, check the Remember my password box.
- Click NextStart.
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.