Rename a user
As an administrator for your organization's G Suite or Cloud Identity service, you change a user’s email address in the Admin console. You can also change the display name that shows up in emails they send, calendar invites, and so on.
A user can change their own display name. But they can’t change their address.
Change a user’s name or address
From the Admin console Home page, go to Users.
- In the Users list, find the user. If you need help, see Find a user account.
- Hover over the user you want to rename and click Rename user at the right:
You can also find this option at the top-left of the user's account page.
- Change any of the following:
- First name and Last name: The name that shows up in emails they send.
- Primary email address: Their email address and name they sign in with.
- Click Rename.
If you change their email address...
- They must now sign in to their Google Account with the new address.
- They continue to receive mail at the old address (it becomes an email alias).
- If the user's new primary email address matches an existing Google Account, you might be prompted to resolve the conflict before you can rename the user. Learn more about conflicting accounts.
If you change their display name…
The new name appears:
- In messages they send (unless they change their own Gmail settings)
- In calendar invites, shared docs, and so on (unless they change their Google+ profile)
- In your company's global contact directory