This page is for administrators who manage other people's accounts. To change the name for a personal gmail.com account, go here, instead.
As an administrator for your organization's Google Workspace or Cloud Identity account, you can change a user's first and last name that shows up in emails they send, calendar invites, and other Google services.
Changing a user's name as described here doesn't change their email address or the name they use to sign in to their account.
Change a user’s first or last name
Tip (If available): Try the quick link. At the top of your Admin console Home page, click Update a user’s name or email, search for the user, click Proceed, and then go to step 5 below.
From the Admin console Home page, go to Users.
- In the Users list, find the user. Learn how to find a user account.
- Point to the user and click Rename user.
You can also find this option at the left of the user's account page.
- Change any of the following details:
- First name and Last name—The name that shows up in emails they send, calendar invites, and other Google services.
- Click Rename.
After you change a profile name…
The new name appears:
- In messages the user sends (unless they change their own Gmail settings)
- In calendar invites, shared docs, and other Google services (unless the user changes their Google+ profile)
- In your company's searchable Directory
Important: A user's previous profile name isn't private and might be visible to other users in some circumstances.