Rename a user
This article is for administrators. To change your display name, go here instead. To change your email address for work or school, ask your admin to follow the instructions in this article.
As an admin for your organization's G Suite or Cloud Identity service, you can change a user’s name and email address in the Admin console. When you change the display name, you change the name that shows up in emails they send, calendar invites, and other Google services.
There is some impact when you rename a user, including they'll sign in with their new username. If a team member simply needs an alternative email address, consider setting up an email alias. Creating an email alias for the user doesn’t change their username and primary email address. Emails sent to the email alias arrive in the user’s primary Gmail inbox.
Important: Before you change a user's name or email address, be sure you understand the impact of changing a username.
Change a user’s name or address
From the Admin console Home page, go to Users.
- In the Users list, find the user. Learn how to find a user account.
- Point to the user that you want to rename and click Rename user.
You can also find this option at the top-left of the user's account page.
- Change any of the following:
- First name and Last name—The name that shows up in emails they send.
- Primary email address—Their email address and name they sign in with.
- Email domain—If your organization has more than one domain, click the Down arrow to the right of the @ sign and choose a domain.
Note: Only the primary domain or any additional (secondary) domains added to your organization's account are available for the email address. You can't use another domain, such as gmail.com.
- Click Rename.
If you change their email address...
- They must now sign in to their Google Account with the new address.
- They continue to receive mail at the old address (it becomes an email alias).
- If the user's new primary email address matches an existing Google Account, you might be prompted to resolve the conflict before you can rename the user. Learn more about conflicting accounts.
If you change their display name…
The new name appears:
- In messages they send (unless they change their own Gmail settings)
- In calendar invites, shared docs, and other Google services (unless they change their Google+ profile)
- In your company's Directory