This article is for administrators. To manage your own groups, visit the Google Groups help.
Google Groups provides multiple options for securing the groups in your organization. With full administrator control over all groups, along with user-level control, the service is also flexible, so you and your users can choose the right level of security for your groups.
As an administrator, you have control over what users can do with Groups for Business and the groups they create, including setting sharing options and security settings for user-created groups.Sharing settings
To provide security for your entire Groups for Business service, you can set sharing options to:
- Prevent people outside your organization from accessing your groups
- Prevent users from creating their own groups
- Identify all user-created groups with a special suffix in the group address
- Prevent users from adding external members to the groups they own
- Prevent users from allowing external messages to be sent to the groups they own
- Let users keep their groups out of the Groups directory
Learn more about setting sharing options.
To ensure the security of a specific user-created group, you can:
- Change an owner or manager to a regular member
- Add or delete members
- Change any of the access, delivery, conversation history, and other settings
- Delete the group
Note: If you change any of a group's settings, another owner or manager can change the settings again. To prevent changes to your settings, you can change owners and managers to regular members. That way, only you (the administrator) can manage the group and ensure its security.
You can assign each user a role that determines what that user can do with the group. See Assign group roles to members.
Group owners and managers can provide security for their group.Group owners or managers
To provide security for their groups, users who are group owners or managers can:
- Specify who can send messages to the group, view the group conversation history, and view members in the group
- Specify who can join the group
- Prevent members from inviting others to join the group
- Moderate messages sent to the group
- Prevent messages to the group from being stored in a conversation history
- Prevent people outside your organization from being members of the group (if you select the sharing setting that lets users add external members)
- Prevent people outside your organization from sending messages to the group (if you select the sharing setting that lets users allow external messages)
Users who are group owners can also:
- Make another group member an owner, or change another owner to a manager or member
- Delete their groups