Custom Thumbnails Policy
Custom thumbnails that violate our Community Guidelines are not allowed on YouTube.
If you see thumbnails that violate this policy, please report them. Instructions for reporting violations of our Community Guidelines are available here. If you have found multiple videos, comments or a user's entire channel that you wish to report, please visit our reporting tool, where you will be able to submit a more detailed complaint.
What this means for you
Don't post a thumbnail on YouTube that fits any of the descriptions noted below.
- Thumbnails that include pornographic images
- Violent imagery intended to shock or disgust
- Thumbnails misleading viewers into thinking that they're about to view something that's not in the video
Please note that this is not a complete list.
Thumbnails that aren't appropriate for all audiences
Sometimes, a thumbnail may not be appropriate for all audiences, but doesn't violate our Community Guidelines. When that happens, we'll remove the thumbnail, but we won't issue a strike on your channel. We'll let you know that we removed it and you'll be able to upload another thumbnail.
Here's what we consider when we remove these kinds of thumbnails:
- Whether breasts, buttocks or genitals (clothed or unclothed) are the focal point of the thumbnail
- Whether the subject is depicted in a pose or clothing that is intended to sexually arouse the viewer
- Whether violent or gory imagery is the focal point of the thumbnail
- Whether the title, description, tags or other data indicate an intent to shock or disgust viewers
What happens when content violates this policy
If your custom thumbnail violates this policy, we'll remove the thumbnail and may issue a strike against your account. If this is the first time that you've posted content that violates our Community Guidelines, you'll get a warning with no penalty to your channel. If it's not, we'll issue a strike against your channel. Your channel will be terminated if you receive three strikes. You can learn more about our strikes system here.